Recent content by Scott Laird

1. S

EXPIRED Arista DCS-7060CX-32S 32P 100GbE $1500 OBO

FWIW, found it. And wow--EOS is *so* much less work than Sonic.
  2. S

EXPIRED Arista DCS-7060CX-32S 32P 100GbE $1500 OBO

I hate to post "me too" 11 months after the last post, but I've had nothing but trouble with sonic on my 7060CX-32S. Does anyone have a pointer to a semi-current firmware image? FWIW, the biggest problem with sonic is that it's now bigger than half of the flash on the 7060CX. So in-place...
  3. S

Intel E810-CQDA1/2 with mixed 10/25 interfaces?

To answer my own question, it looks like it's supported, at least according to https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29768/eng/epct.txt. That mentions 2x25+2x10 + 2x10; that is a single QSFP28 with 2 each at 25 and 10, and 2 more 10G interfaces on the other QSFP28.
  4. S

Intel E810-CQDA1/2 with mixed 10/25 interfaces?

It looks like the Intel 800-series NICs can split 100G ports into 4x25 and (potentially) 8x10 using their 'epct' tool, but it's unclear if they'll support 25G and 10G links on the same physical NIC at the same time. Their docs show 4x25, 2x2x25, and 8x10 as options, but there's no mention that...
  5. S

HP / HPE Moonshot Unofficial Reference Guide

The heatsinks arrived. I just installed 2 and everything fit, although it will be *tight* if you use all 4 DIMMs. I updated Github with more details and a few images. I haven't tried stress-testing anything yet.
  6. S

HGST He8 Ultrastar 8TB HUH728080AL5200 $82

I received mine a couple weeks ago. I haven't had time to install them all yet, but the first few were fine.
  7. S

It looks like the heatsinks have shipped and are due late this week. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
  8. S

I have 5 custom heatsinks heading to manufacturing now. Hopefully they'll work on the first pass and I won't need to order a second (or third) batch. Quantity 5, it comes to about $35 each, but for 50+ it's under $10. That seems surprisingly reasonable for a custom heatsink.
  9. S

Aggregation Switches >6 SFP+ <= 16SFP+?

There's also the dirt-cheap UniFi Switch Aggregation, with 8x SFP+ ports for $269, with no fan and a 30W max power draw.
  10. S

HPE's website says that there is a "critical" iLO firmware upgrade to v2.61 from early 2021. Mine came with v2.54, from Jan 24, 2018. Unfortunately, the link that my iLO provided for HPE firmware updates wasn't helpful. I was able to download the latest version from here...
  11. S

Oddly, the M510s (16 core) without heatsinks run fine, at around 40C when idle. But they boot fairly slowly, which makes me think that they're hitting thermal throttling limits in between spot checks. They work well enough so I can deal with OS installs and so forth while waiting for my...
  12. S

I found a few places online that do semi-custom heatsinks. Which is to say, they take stock heatsink stock and machine it down to match a spec. I have an automated quote from one of them (low $20s each, quantity 10), along with an estimate of 3-ish weeks. Hopefully I'll hear more next week...
  13. S

I now have 4 M510s running in an EL4000 with a newer rev of my heatsink mount. I had to *really* shorten it in order to fit underneath the second DIMM slot, so it's not using brass thread inserts anymore, as every one that I could find was too thick. So the heat sink screws simply thread into...
  14. S

Here's my first pass at a heat sink mount: scottlaird/HPE_M510 That's still *slightly* too thick; the next rev will probably be about 1mm thinner. I'm using one of these right now, and it fits into the slot fine, but it's obviously slightly thicker than it should be. It's designed to use M3...