Recent content by Savant

1. S

Seagate 5TB 2.5" external drive - 95$ [costco]

I've ran 6x 4tb in a mirrored zfs for the last 3y or so only experiencing one failure. I had a spare on hand and the array was back up to full performance the next morning. I honestly didn't notice a performance hit in my usage. My array usage is primary backup destination and media storage...
  2. S

Intel VCA Card Under $800

Hey Patrick, I ended up getting one as well. I couldn't find 16gb stick at any kind of reasonable price, but did end up getting 6x8gb micron sticks from the compatibility list from ebay@$170 shipped. If anyone has a lead on some 16gb unbuffered sodimms I would be interested, but best I could...
  3. S

Asus Hyper m.2 x16

Same here. I ended up using a 2p Intel server and put each drive in a 4xpcie to m2 adapter. I am running 3x~1tb m2 drives in raidz and things have been up and stable for over a year now. Between them and a 800gb pcie flash drive I have a very fast flash tier of storage and use the 24x2.5" for...
  4. S

Asus Hyper m.2 x16

That is actually one of the boards I was unable to get it working in. Setting the bios to x4x4x4x4 would only allowed 2 of the 4 drives to be detected. I have sense installed an AMD S7150 in to the same board without issues. So it seems to be something specifically with this card. I would have...
  5. S

Samsung PM953 960gb m.2 $179 and new

I thought that only 4x4x4x4x bifurication support was required as well, but that is not the case. I have quite a few servers with the support(Dell, SMC and Intel) that I tried to get the card running with and I was never able to get all 4 m.2 devices to be detected. Maybe others have had better...
  6. S

Looking for Hitachi firmware

Well I never got the time to call support, but I was able to get the drives working with all controllers. It turns out they were formatted with a 520 block. After going through the process outlined in the forums I now have all the drives showing as supported.
  7. S

Looking for Hitachi firmware

I recently picked up 8xHUSSL4040ASS600 SAS2 ssds for use in testing vsan and eventually as a dedicated flash datastore for my VMs. I just got the drives installed, but an getting a blocked status on my h710p raid card. I wanted to try updating the firmware to the current as they seem to be at...
  8. S

Intel / Corvil 7300 / R2224GZ4GCSAS Server 2x 8-Core Xeon E5-2650 2GHz 64GB - 450$ *SOLD*

I need another server like I need a hole in my head.. PM sent, I'll take her.
  9. S

Intel / Corvil 7300 / R2224GZ4GCSAS Server 2x 8-Core Xeon E5-2650 2GHz 64GB - 450$ *SOLD*

I run this same board, but in an 8bay LFF Intel chassis. It's a fantastic base for a super quiet home server. The board has 24 dimm slots, so plenty of ram capability. I run mine in a open rack in my living room and guests never know its powered on. I run dual 2650v2, 64gb ram, 512gb NVME...
  10. S

Asus Hyper m.2 x16

Hey Alex, They do not work properly in x9 series SMC boards. The best I could get is two drives accessable, slot 1 and slot 3. I am unable to get any more to show. I don't have any newer consumer series hardware to test on. As I stated before it should work in the latest series board that have...
  11. S

Asus Hyper m.2 x16

I honestly couldn't say. I don't know of anyone with a Ryzen setup to try it on. If anyone in the Denver area would like to give it a go I am up for meeting up and testing it out. Linux support shouldn't be an issue at all. As long as your board has the pcie bifurcation settings to set a 16x...
  12. S

Asus Hyper m.2 x16

Amazon my friend. In stock and shipping through Prime.Actually just checked and no longer available through Prime, but still available. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753JTJTG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I love the card and would totally consider wasting 2x 16x slots to...
  13. S

Asus Hyper m.2 x16

Has anyone used an Asus Hyper m.2 x16 card and been able to bifurcate all 4 drive ports? I am running into a weird issue with both my SMC servers. They both have the option to change the pcie port from 16x to 4x4x4x4, but no matter what I do I can not see more that 2 drives of the 4 installed on...
  14. S

FREE: Celestix 2U x86 network appliance with SAS, 8 x 1GbE, etc

I'd be interested in the idle power draw on it. Could be interesting to play with.
  15. S

Still have the 4 x ironwolfs? Whats the best you can do on all 4 shipped to 80239?

Still have the 4 x ironwolfs? Whats the best you can do on all 4 shipped to 80239?