Recent content by RAMhog

1. R

Watercooled 1U Server

Build’s Name #1: 1U Watercooled Server Operating System/ Storage Platform: TBD CPU: Intel Celeron E1200 @ 1.6Ghz Motherboard: Intel System Board DG31PR Chassis: Supermicro 1U Drives: TBD RAM: 1 GB (to be upgraded to 4GB) Add-in Cards: TBD, likely 2-port gigabit ethernet via PCIe riser Power...
  2. R

Watercooled 2U server from Poweredge C2100 corpse

60mm is still too big for a 1U case, 40mm should work. What I really need is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Alphacool-NexXxos-XT45-Copper-Radiator/dp/B00IF6OZGQ Even for heatsink/fans that fit in 1U of space? The ones I've encountered (which haven't been many, to be fair) have...
  3. R

It's hard to find anything other than a multiple of 120mm sized radiator (e.g. 120mm, 240mm, 360mm, and even some 480mm width, all x 120mm high x whatever thickness). Thanks for the warnings. So, even the small amount of copper in the CPU waterblock will cause a problem with the aluminum...
  4. R

See above, I do have an 80mm radiator on the way, purchased on the basis that 80mm fans fit in a 2U case, so theoretically an 80mm rad should fit. I'll update this thread when I receive it and figure out if it will fit or not.
  5. R

That's true. I guess I was a bit unclear in my reply to maze, but with the 120mm radiator size, plus the tubing sticking out, the maximum angle that the radiator could be angled would be maybe 30 degrees maximum. Kinda like this: Theoretically I could flip it around and maybe get a little...
  6. R

Aluminum. It's a little ambiguous, do you suggest to use anti-corrosion additives and regularly inspect the loop in the case of the radiator being copper or aluminum? What could potentially happen otherwise? I do seem to recall some of the more expensive copper radiators having the threads...
  7. R

I do have an 80mm radiator on the way, I am planning on seeing if that will fit. If it does, then I could possibly chain 2 or 3 of them together, if necessary (although I honestly think I could get by with just a single 80mm rad). Haven't heard of a "fanwall" before, what is that?
  8. R

Welp, here it is after being put in my rack for about a day: Not too attractive. I'm thinking about maybe finding some of the disk caddies for the Poweredge C2100, and possibly re-attaching the backplane so I can put disks in there and have them work. After a couple hours of one or two of...
  9. R

Need solution to backup WiFi during power outage

I agree with those that are saying the best solution is to get a properly-sized UPS. That's the long-term plan, but for right now I don't have the capital to buy a nice rack-mountable UPS like I want. Not often, in fact I can't remember ever losing power in this apartment in the ~1.5 years...
  10. R

FS: HP Proliant DL580 G7 - 4x L7555 8c/16t 1.87Ghz, 192GB RAM, 10Gbe FC

Hmm, good question... the quickspecs state the following: The only things that are really missing from the "maximum" list are two of the power supplies (assuming you don't want to buy those as well), 1/4 of the DIMMs, and hard drives. Since the DIMMS don't weigh that much, and it only has...
  11. R

Hi all, Let's the get required portion out of the way first: Build’s Name: Graveyard Watercooled 2U Operating System/ Storage Platform: VMWare ESXi 6.5 CPU: Intel Celeron G3930 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Chassis: Dell Poweredge C2100 Drives: Seagate Barracuda 750 GB HD RAM: 16 GB DDR4...
  12. R

Need solution to backup WiFi during power outage

Hi all, I bought this neat little mini battery-backup product, the APC Back-UPS Connect 50: APC Back-UPS Connect 50, 120V, Lithium Ion, Network Backup and Mobile Power Pack - APC - United States It is basically a USB battery pack charger like you see for phones/tablets, enclosed in a housing...
  13. R

FS: HP Proliant DL580 G7 - 4x L7555 8c/16t 1.87Ghz, 192GB RAM, 10Gbe FC

Hi all, This is my first post on this board. I have some cool projects to share, and also some questions to ask, but I wanted to get this out of the way first, as I have a pretty pressing need to liquidate some of my gear for cash. For sale is an HP Proliant DL580 G7 server. It is currently...