Recent content by raiderj

1. R

FS: Dell Poweredge R620 parts, 15K, 3TB SAS HDDs, DDR3 ECC RAM, Dell/LSI RAID, monitors, freebies WTB: 4x 3.5" Dell caddies

What I switched to that I've been very happy with from The Server Store (I think I just emailed them): 4U Supermicro with no system board BPN-SAS2-846EL1 Backplane 2x PWS-920P-SQ Power supplies $399 plus shipping To that I added some misc cables and quieter fans, plus my Supermicro board...
  2. R

WTB: x8/x8 or x8/x16 PCIe riser cable

PCI-e Ribbon Cable & 90 Degree Adapter
  3. R

WTB: x8/x8 or x8/x16 PCIe riser cable

I think I have some that will work. I'm in VA, so depending where you're at they could get to you pretty quick. Will grab some pics here shortly.
  4. R

FS: Dell Poweredge R620 parts, 15K, 3TB SAS HDDs, DDR3 ECC RAM, Dell/LSI RAID, monitors, freebies WTB: 4x 3.5" Dell caddies

Yes to both. I have a mix of HGST and WD SATA drives that I've used in it. The SAS ports on the back take standard SFF-8088 cables that I've connected to various Supermicro SAS controllers and LSI cards. All 12 bays are ready to accept drives. Pretty much plug and play! Shouldn't be any...
  5. R

I have a Lenovo SA120 (12x3.5") that I'll be putting up for sale soon. Would that be of interest to you? I'm out in Leesburg area.
  6. R

[FS][US-FL] Supermicro Chassis 847E16 - 36 Bay - Fan Swap Mod - SQ PSU

I have a 4U 24-bay version of your setup. Everything you mentioned for making these units "livable" in your home is pretty much what I did for my unit (SQ power supplies are important). Nice units! Good deal for anyone who needs it. If the backplanes are like what's in mine, there's three ports...
  7. R

HP T730: $129.40 (shipped)

I'm able to get gigabit speeds up/down with my FiOS connection. Haven't tested with any kind of packet filtering, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better performing pfsense box for the price.
  8. R

I used a half-height Intel quad-port NIC. Works great. I have one port feeding my LAN, which then goes out to a Unifi PoE switch. WAN is another port on the NIC, and I'm leaving the single Ethernet port that's onboard as unused for now.
  9. R

Using one of these for pfsense. Works great!
  10. R

Supermicro X10SL7-F $63

That looks like a nice board, perfect for FreeNAS w/ 10Gb. Does the Ethernet interface have some type of IPMI interface on it?
  11. R

Supermicro X10SL7-F $63

Had the same experience. Guessing the seller realized they could raise their prices and decided to cancel the sales. They are good boards, but considering their age, I would go for something newer if prices go over $100. What's everyone use for boards to run FreeNAS? Onboard SAS is nice, but...
  12. R

Supermicro X10SL7-F $63

These are great boards. I've been running one for years now, hosting FreeNAS. It's been rock solid. Buying one myself, if nothing else just to have a backup board. Years ago I ran ESXi on this board, passing in the onboard SAS controller to a FreeNAS VM. Then had VM's for my other Plex-related...
  13. R

Sold: Supermicro Atom A1SRM-2758F board + 32GB (4x8GB) ECC

These are nice boards! Used one myself to host a pfSense VM for awhile, now a bunch of Docker containers.
  14. R

$350: Dell T40 w/ Xeon E-2224G, 8GB ECC, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW

Any thoughts on adding a GPU to this setup for additional transcoding horsepower? I'm currently running Plex as a VM on a Xeon D board, which sadly doesn't allow passthrough.