[FS][US-FL] Supermicro Chassis 847E16 - 36 Bay - Fan Swap Mod - SQ PSU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

m-jeri

Aug 5, 2017
Hi All.

Looking to sell my 36 bay Supermicro Chassis 847E16.

NOTES: Realized I don't have any super critical data that needed 3 copies of backup. 2 is fine. :)

On Fans: I swapped out all the loud fans to Arctic ones and power supply to 1280 SQ ones, now the unit is very suitable for in-home use. Still the faint purring of fans are there. I have two units running behind me (~3 feet) all the time. But your tolerance may vary. Since I mostly use shucked drives, all are 5400 RPM and temps are ok. But I do run some old 3TB 7200RPM Hitachi ones, they get warm.

I threw out all the 7000RPM fans.

On Backplane: This has the expander backplane (BPN-SAS2-846EL1 / BPN-SAS2-826EL1???). I run two HBAs. One for the front 24 bay and one for the rear 16 bay. I only use single port in each controller.

INCLUDED IN SALE: The chasis, 36 drive trays, original supermicro sliding rails, PWS-1K28P-SQ. I still got the super large box this came with the foam inserts as well.

SHIPPING: Local pickup at FL 32814 only for now. If this changes, I will update the thread. So keep an eye out if interested.

PRICE: 500USD. (Looking at the ebay listings for barebones and considering the better rails and fan mod.)

TIMESTAMPS:
Thanks
Jerin.

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
I have a 4U 24-bay version of your setup. Everything you mentioned for making these units "livable" in your home is pretty much what I did for my unit (SQ power supplies are important). Nice units! Good deal for anyone who needs it.

If the backplanes are like what's in mine, there's three ports on them. I have two of my ports connected directly to my onboard HBA, should give me ~4GB/s of transfer speed. The third is going to an open socket on my backplane, where you could daisy chain another DAS if you wanted. In any case, you should be able to fill this thing with [spinning] rust and not have any bandwidth issues.

Reactions: m-jeri

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Would love to get it, but it is out of my budget right now.
I have a 24 disk older box running my Proxmox media server. A few extra disks may be desirable but no can do.
Also I am in NJ. No pick-up.