Recent content by Pakna

1. P

Tiered storage sizing recommendations

Re: write-focused drives, looks like Solidigm D7-P5810 is the one to watch for. NAND drive, 50 DWPD, PCIe 4.0 interface, U.2, 800 GB capacity. Though, aside from the faster interface, I really don't see the appeal over Optane 905p, which is larger capacity, better endurance, lower latencies and...
  2. P

Proxmox clone VM from cloud-init template with an iSCSI target?

I was looking at automating creation of my homelab k8s infrastructure with Terraform when I ran into this sharp edge - it looks like Proxmox doesn't support cloning VM images from a (cloud-init) template that want to install a cloud-init image to a hard drive targeted with an iSCSI LUN (provided...
  3. P

HP DL360 Gen9 rack rails missing pins

I bought some rack rails for HP DL360 Gen9 on eBay recently but it looks like they're missing the latching pins on the sides of them. Tried fitting in a standard M6 screw through it and bolt it in to the side rail but it's too narrow a hole. I am attaching a couple of pics of how this looks like...
  4. P

Can I escape ThreadRipper PRO with AM5?

You're right - I thought that in a year's time there would be some other options but I can't see any. In the end, I would come to accept the x8/x8 or x8/x4/x4 on the 5.0/4.0 ports. It's not like anything in the next cca. 5 years is ever going to be using all that 5.0 bandwidth anyway (at least I...
  5. P

So as the dust settles from the AMD Storm Peak announcement, let me necro this thread by saying how disappointed I am by the non-PRO (a.k.a HEDT) version of the Threadripper. The year of waiting looks to be for naught. Let's start by the rather meagre 48 PCIe lanes (instead of the expected 64)...
  6. P

Home network sanity check - VLAN loops?

Thanks for your reply - as you can see, I am no network engineer, just trying to get things working as simple as possible. The switch is called "Core" because it's the one that hosts DHCP server and has the direct link to the firewall. There is unfortunately no way to connect the other three...
  7. P

Home network sanity check - VLAN loops?

Hello, I am trying to do a sanity check on this home network layout I intend to evolve to - in particular, I would appreciate some insight into: whether this network has any VLAN cycles if it has, can I get away with just RSTP or do you recommend MSTP configuration? am I doing something...
  8. P

Mikrotik CRS310-1G-5S-4S+in interVLAN routing at line speed?

Thank you @noduck - I've pulled the trigger on the CRS310, looks like I have some reading to do. Will report back with the results in a few weeks.
  9. P

Mikrotik CRS310-1G-5S-4S+in interVLAN routing at line speed?

I am looking at buying Mikrotik CRS310-1G-5S-4S+in mostly for its SFP+ ports and was curious if anyone had a definitive answer whether the switch is capable of doing inter-vlan routing at 10G line speed? Looking at here, it looks like the answer would be no (as HW offloading is only supported by...
  10. P

Optimise 2P core/clock CPU combination on X10DRH-CT

Thanks for insight - you raise absolutely valid points here. Talking offline to other people convinced me this is an exercise in excessive optimisation: it's great to min-max, but as you mention, testing thoroughly out all these combinations will be a massive undertaking for a limited...
  11. P

Proxmox + Windows + GPU passthrough?

I agree - aside from the obvious path (dual booting), what would you suggest? One other option that came to me would be to just install Proxmox and then spin up a separate Linux and Windows VM, passing through the GPU both VMs (they would never be turned on simultaneously).
  12. P

Proxmox + Windows + GPU passthrough?

I have some eight SATA SSD drives lying around and I am toying with an idea to install Proxmox on my workstation on a mirrored pair of NVMe drives (boot pool), create a striped pool comprised of all the remaining SATA drives (game pool), kick the Windows VM off from an image lying on the boot...
  13. P

Optimise 2P core/clock CPU combination on X10DRH-CT

I am running a 2P SAN for my homelab and am experimenting with mixing two different (but "close") Broadwell-E CPUs on this Supermicro platform, would like to hear some opinions or general suggestions on whether I am actually looking to lose or gain anything with such an asymmetric setup. Here...
  14. P

Removing DIMMs from slots with only one clasp / retention clip

I wonder what is the benefit of this design? I can't see anything good coming out of it.
  15. P

Is there a master table that lists all these per CPU model or is this baked in individually in the factory? Looking at hwinfo.com and I can't see anything similar. EDIT: I've pulled the trigger on E5-2697A v4 for 80 USD. Hopefully it won't be much slower in single-thread performance than this...