Recent content by Pakna

1. P

Solarflare dual 10Gb SFP+

Some routers (like Nokia's) will have an LC connector, some non-standard and some (like Actiontec) will come with an SFP port. I believe ISP should be able to accomodate your needs. I would not unscrew anything unless it's last resort and you're ready to potentially be charged for a new router...
  2. P

Solarflare dual 10Gb SFP+

I am running a 10G SMF-only setup with pfSense - WAN is symmetric 1G. I'd be running fibre even if I had a 0.1G WAN. Aside from nicety of uniformity and consistency, my biggest motivation was that I could cut out the ISP router and directly plug in the SFP ONT into the 10G NIC on the firewall...
  3. P

Layer 3 Switch w/ PFSense

Phil, I think it works - thanks a lot for these pointers! It was a compound configuration error (the worst kind): - the FIBRE1 allow-all rule had its Source set to.... FIBRE1 net, which I somehow misunderstood as "any traffic coming from FIBRE1 NIC" as opposed to "any traffic coming from FIBRE1...
  4. P

I think phil9878 got the gist of my explanation right - but to be exact: VLAN1 is merely the default VLAN specified with the switch ("stock" switch configuration). It does not have its SVI defined at all. My understanding is that it must be defined by default in all switches but should not be...
  5. P

Thanks for the time looking at my setup in more details - appreciate it. As for unrelated advice you had made, I agree with it completely and I'll apply the changes as my testing progresses but was trying to make simplest config work end-to-end. I can report back on that later. I've ensured...
  6. P

Agreed. Given the current symptoms, do you suspect the problem is on switch or firewall side? Where do I have more than one transit network? There is only one transit network - and Workstation B is using that one. Are you suggesting that I should bring in the Workstation A into its own VLAN...
  7. P

Thanks - my post may have been a bit longer but I didn't want to exclude any important details. To my understanding, all of these points are satisified - including that I am using just a single transit link (not multiple transit networks). The only true problem is that B cannot ping its gateway...
  8. P

Apologies if I am hijacking the thread but in trying to set this machinery up on my LAN and after going through this thread (any many others elsewhere) and having tried everything I could think of but am still partially successful at best. I suspect I am either misconfiguring the default route...
  9. P

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Thank you, this is valuable info - all things considered, it seems like the S3900-F4FS is the option to choose. Kind of unfortunate that the Mikrotik opted to go with L2 only switches but that's what it is.
  10. P

Thanks for the confirmation. Does Mikrotik have any parts in their inventory with ASICs?
  11. P

Any thoughts on the FS.COM's S3900-24F4S? I am close to pulling the trigger for a core switch purpose as I am unaware of similarly priced alternatives with 4xSFP+ and plenty of SFP ports (the wiring in the house is entirely fibre optics - with the exclusion of WiFI APs and security cameras). Two...
  12. P

Superchassis CSE-505-203B a + M11SDV - compatibility issues?

Thank you both - after wasting time dremeling the existing IO plate, I judged it just isn't worth the risk of contaminating the board with metal particles, so I'll order these parts.
  13. P

Gotcha - maybe I'll try this. Curious that after my repeated email exchange with Supermicro support about this very issue prior to purchase, they never mentioned this - their support claimed the chassis is compatible with the lineup I was interested in and that they'll be updating the product...
  14. P

Thanks. That one might fit but isn't the one which is used on the AS-5019D. And the price is eyewatering. Have you tried this yourself?
  15. P

So I ran into a bit of an embarrassing issue yesterday - it seems like Superchassis CSE-505-203B (despite Supermicro's claims) isn't really fully compatible with their EPYC 3000 motherboards. As you can see in the attached images, the IO panel seems not to support the layout of their...