Recent content by omniscence

1. O

Asrocks new C2750 & C2550 boards (12 SATA ports and IPMI).

If you believe the scarce documentation available up to now that is not a 4 pin CPU connector on the Supermicro board. It is an alternatine 12 V power connector for a separate power supply when the ATX connector is not in use.
  2. O

WD RED Drive About to Fail?

This is actually expected behaviour. Pending sector just means that it is a sector where the checksum does not match the data and is thus invalid. A write to such a sector will replace the invalid data by valid data and decrease the pending sector count. A reallocated sector means that the drive...
  3. O

Intel Avoton C2750 Benchmarks - Supermicro A1SAi-2750F

The Marvell part is only the (quad) PHY. The MAC is integrated. I think that makes sense, when a lot of these are integrated in a single unit they will be directly connected to a specialized switch IC. Exactly my thought when I saw i350 compatible.
  4. O

supermicro X10SL7-F vs X10SLH-F

It has a heat sink that is glued to the apparently bare die. To remove it could be difficult and can destroy the chip or at least will void the warranty. I will try to somehow fit a small fan to it. I always wanted to build air ducts for my add-on cards with acryllic glass, but this is a...
  5. O

It is still on my desk and is going into a Chenbro 4U 16 bay rackmount case. Those have 5 80mm fans (replaced by silent models) mounted at the upper part of the internal wall and I fear that they do not provide enough airflow for such a small heatsink in such position.
  6. O

Which CPU cooler do you use on the X10SL7-F? The heatsink of the LSI controller gets extremely hot, I almost burned my fingers on it.
  7. O

Intel RES2SV240 24-port SAS2 Expander Wiki

I can confirm that the expander supports dual-linking. However, I only have used LSI 9211-8i controllers. The link state is shown by lsiutil and by Linux sysfs. SAS2008's links are 6.0 G, 6.0 G, 6.0 G, 6.0 G, 6.0 G, 6.0 G, 6.0 G, 6.0 G B___T SASAddress PhyNum Handle Parent Type...
  8. O

Does RAID array support TRIM functionality for SSD

Only Intel PCH RAID0 supports trim aside from pure software implementations. For performance critical applications I would forsake TRIM completely and setup a solid OP, the end result will be the almost the same.
  9. O

H87 motherboard recommendations for new server

One thing: With Haswell processors you will want to use DDR3-1600 RAM. The board description on amazon is wrong.
  10. O

LSI 9271 with res2sv240 help

Well, I don't know, but the forward cables are the right choice for this case. I can assure you that WD Reds generally work with this expander. I use a 9211-8i controller however. I had single link and dual link configurations and all worked just fine. I suppose that the drives work when...
  11. O

LSI 9271 with res2sv240 help

How do you power the expander? Also get rid of the reverse breakout cable.
  12. O

Intel Xeon E3-1200V3 LGA1150 Haswell Processors and Motherboards

While the i350 has some nice additional features, they are basically useless for gigabit ethernet for anything faster than a Atom. They even reduced the number of queues on the i210 compared to the 82574L, because no driver implemented them as they are not needed.
  13. O

Intel Xeon E3-1200V3 LGA1150 Haswell Processors and Motherboards

Most likely they will include i210 controllers, Intels designated (low-end) replacement for the 82574.
  14. O

LSI 9271-8iCC, FastPath and RAID5 question

Normally OCE (and everything else the controller does) would work on block level. I would assume that the controller has to completely rewrite ALL drives for that. It would take hours to days for harddisks, but for SSDs it may work that fast. Depending on the SSD controller and the internal...
  15. O

LSI 9271-8iCC, FastPath and RAID5 question

How does the controller know how much of the array is used?