Recent content by nutsnax

1. N

ryzen 2700u vs old opteron 4365EE as home router

I have an old dual Opteron 8-core 4365EE and a Ryzen 2700u laptop motherboard that I'm debating using one or the other as a home router. I want to wrap all of my traffic (3-5+ people) in a VPN connection and plan on using this for other basic things (file server, pi hole type arrangement etc)...
  2. N

NetApp Flash Cache

Looks like there is some kind of ONTAP vmware appliance around with instruction on how to install. My PCI Passthrough idea might work....
  3. N

NetApp Flash Cache

if data ontap (whatever the eff that is? Still probably linux based) could be installed to a virtual machine I'd say PCI Passthrough.
  4. N

FS Thread (CPU's, RAM, Icydock, Ryzen Elitedesk, Raspberry Pi, tons of 4300 opteron hardware, R815)

bump - will consider trades for PCI-E 4.0 NVME drives (u.2 or m.2 is fine)
  5. N

FS Thread (CPU's, RAM, Icydock, Ryzen Elitedesk, Raspberry Pi, tons of 4300 opteron hardware, R815)

FYI also I modified the slim optical bay to accept taller RAM (I cut it) and I have a quad port PCI-E x1 NIC I was using in it available for a little extra. I will reset the AMD DASH remote management before shipment. I installed the NIC because I was using the DASH functionality for out-of-band...
  6. N

Thanks and yes you're correct. Eight 5.25" bays would be a big stack of useless for most people :)
  7. N

Usb-c direct server to server connection....

Yeah I did parallel cables way back in the day what a nightmare - but we're talking about real bandwidth now and I'd like the ability to create very short-range high-speed networks. Seems like thunderbolt is the only one that will readily be able to do this unfortunately.