Recent content by Nugget

1. Nugget

Hollow Oak Ranch: New HomeLab Design/Deployment in progress

Great advice about the mini splits. I'm almost certain that's the way I'll go for the main closet in the house. The stable/guest house just has the single 8 port switch, so no special needs. Hangar/workshop is covered with overkill 4 HVAC systems and a BigAss Fan. It's kinda nuts. The only...
  2. Nugget

that’s just what the building is/was. Two owners ago the guy ran a helicopter charter operation from the property. I’ll be working on cars in it.
  3. Nugget

Fun week last week. We rented the rock saw again in order to dig the trenches to run fiber optic cable from the main house to the stable and then on to the workshop buildings. We'd tried to get this done last month, but ran into some setbacks (broken conduit that we thought we'd be able to use)...
  4. Nugget

I really want 10gbit to the workshop so I can use it as an "off site" backup location. And there's no line of sight to the gate. So the fiber was unavoidable (not that I protested too much).
  5. Nugget

That's fantastic range! My workshop is a metal building that is like a giant faraday cage. I had to buy a cellular booster just to get cell phone coverage inside it.
  6. Nugget

Earlier this year I bought some rural property that will become my home closer towards the end of the year. I'm upgrading from a small city center townhome on a postage stamp lot to a 35 acre ranch in the country with three different buildings I will be wiring up with networking, servers, and...
  7. Nugget

IPv6 Firewalls

Glad you got it working. You can join the commiseration about routing over at https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/layer-3-switch-w-pfsense.23236/ :) I wish there was a good solution to that.
  8. Nugget

IPv6 Firewalls

Yeah, that's exactly how I do it. On the switch I just trunk LAN and ULA to a device and just set up the ULA as an interface alias. It's a little bit unwieldy, but it's stable, straightforward, and works great in practice. All IPv6 devices on other VLANs can reach the ULA resources by routing...
  9. Nugget

IPv6 Firewalls

You're not actually very clear in explaining what you are trying to do with ULA and how it's failing, so I'm just sort of spitballing here. I use ULA locally for my DNS servers, because those addresses need to be static so I can advertise them in the router advertisements. I was never able to...
  10. Nugget

*SOLD*: (2) Ruckus R710 and (1) Ruckus T300 (outdoor) access points

I have two Ruckus R710 access points and a single T300 (outdoor) access point for sale. I'm the original owner and have been running them happily in my home for the past three years paired with a ZD1200 controller appliance. My ZD1200 died and I've decided to downgrade to UniFI as a...
  11. Nugget

256GB on Supermicro A2SDi-H-TF

For the record, I'm on 1.1c and hesitate to update for exactly the reasons @EffrafaxOfWug mentions. I do still have the Samsung sticks on hand, though, so it might be worth experimenting before I ship them back.
  12. Nugget

Following up with a non-successful attempt. This Samsung RAM does not work. It's definitely 4Rx4 but same effect when installed.
  13. Nugget

Interesting, that does seem definitive. Going by the "MEM-DR464L-SL01-ER24" part number, that should be what I bought (according to Supermicro), but looking at the actual sticks they sent they're labelled as 2Rx4. So I didn't get what I ordered. I guess now I just need to find a source for...
  14. Nugget

I don't have any other systems here that I'm able to use to test the RAM with. The motherboard manual makes no reference to LRDIMMs, but that's a possible explanation.
  15. Nugget

I'm hoping to stuff 256GB (4x64GB) onto a Supermicro A2SDi-H-TF (it's a FreeNAS Mini XL+) but I'm not having much Luck. This is a supported config according to the manual, but Supermicro doesn't supply any certified part numbers for this config (or even a 128gb config of 32gb sticks). I bought...