Recent content by NotAServerGuy

1. N

Adding blu ray drive to supermicro server 2U

Thanks for your reply. Can you point me in the direction of these adapters? Or even a device that would work in the same spot? My fear is buying something and having it not be something that is compatible with the unit.
  2. N

Thanks so much for your reply. Just to be clear, the one I linked is the one that is currently in there. So in theory should any slim device fit in the same spot?
  3. N

I am a noob with this stuff so I appreciate the help in advance. I recently bought a supermicro server and I am hoping to upgrade the dvd drive to a blu ray burner. The drive that is in there is this one...
  4. N

Looking for blu ray drive for Supermicro 2U chassis

It is running headless now so I am going to have to drag out the monitor and watch it boot to find out. Every other drive in there (including a dvd drive) is SATA.
  5. N

So I brought the server down, installed the external LG drive via SATA and after I reboot Open Media Vault doesn't see it. Any ideas? I realize I might have to take this to another post.
  6. N

It's funny that you mention that because I was thinking of going in this general direction. I found a portable drive that has a SATA Port. I think I am going to just run a cable through the front of the server and put the portable drive next to the server in my closet.
  7. N

Thanks so much for the reply. Yup, well aware of the limitations of ripping. I have all of my 3d movies on disk - rather than ripping them to my movie drive I just want to surface them in kodi on the rare occasion that we want to watch them.
  8. N

I am a noob in this area (I'm a software guy) and I am grateful for the help whenever I can get it. Thanks! Earlier this year I purchased a Supermicro server in a 2U chassis with SATA ports. It has a dvd drive on the front - can I replace this with a slim blu ray burner? I've googled it and...
  9. N

Another "how to a make supermicro setup quiet" thread

The fan is the San Ace 80 that I mentioned in my previous post. There are three of them in a row at the front of the chassis. I did a little experimenting - I removed one of the fans and the temperature of the drives has only been a degree or two warmer over that time (28 -30C for all...
  10. N

Thanks so much - I completely forgot that these are hot swap. Sure enough, that's the problem - these San Ace 80 are screaming. Is it just a matter of buying another 80x25mm fan and dropping it into the fan holder that this unit uses?
  11. N

Thank you for the response. I think you misunderstood the post - I already have this unit and I am happy with it with the exception of the noise. That's what I am trying to do here - make it quieter.
  12. N

For years I had been kicking around the idea of getting a big-boy setup and I recently bit the bullet. I am a software developer and not a server guy - I did a lot of research but I apparently neglected the possibility that the new rig would be that loud. I've googled this quite a bit and...