Recent content by niekbergboer

1. N

Heads Up when upgrading to Proxmox VE 8.2

I just upgraded two of my servers from Proxmox VE 8.1 to 8.2, and although there is just of good stuff, as outlined in the video , the upgrade to kernel 6.8 (although good in itself) changes the network-interface names in the kernel. In my case, on an Intel X710-DA2, the names changed: From...
  2. N

Access Supermicro IPMI via HTTP?

That is one way to go. Personally, I have Caddy handle the SSL certificates and HTTPS work. Then, I use Authelia to only have authorized people (me) be able to even access the IPMI web pages.
  3. N

Over 2000 SPEC CPU 2017 Results Flagged for Compiler Optimization

"Lies, damn lies, and benchmarks" Whenever one defines success metrics, some will game the system for the sole purpose of achieving said metric. Another way of putting that is: "Any metrics that starts being used as a performance evaluation stops being a useful metric at precisely that time."...
  4. N

ASUS S14NA-U12 AMD EPYC 8004 Siena Motherboard Review

I understand that this is Asus' 14th generation of product, but man, would SI3NA have been a great match, name wise :)
  5. N

Proxmox VE 8.1 Brings SDN and More for its Popular Virtualization Platform

FWIW, Proxmox VE started including a fixed 6.5 kernel with a ZFS 2.2.2 module in it's pvetest repository yesterday, so the ZFS bug is now mitigated.
  6. N

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Thank you. I actually do mean the X13SAZ-F though, specifically a board with IPMI. What I was trying to find out is whether one can use the Intel IGP (for, say, Plex) when also using the IPMI for remote management, which is one of the use cases that I would like to have.
  7. N

Is there anyone here with a X13SAZ-F who would be willing to post an lspci output here please?
  8. N

Refreshing Haswell Xeon E3 server - Established Rocket Lake or cobbled Raptor Lake?

In a community colo, I have been running my Supermicro-X10 based Haswell server for a long time now, and it has turned 9 years old. I would like to refresh it, and I have been weighing the pros and cons of whether to go for Supermicro X12 or X13, especially since I also want to replace the...
  9. N

New Dell S5416 16x Intel Xeon System for Scale-Up SAP HANA TDI

This is fascinating stuff. In the Web/Tech industry, we are by now much more used to scale-out solutions (and our workloads scale well on those), but there are certainly workloads that benefit from the massive with-system bandwidth that you get in a scale-up solution. What does surprise me is...
  10. N

Malina: 6x Raspberry Pi CM4 compute cluster

That would indeed be interesting: PCIe 2.0 x1 is 500 Mbyte/s full duplex, so a 2.5 Gbe switch would be a feasible improvement. 5 Gbe would be pushing it, and 10 Gbe is more than the link can saturate. Also, in my case, Ceph is not very friendly on these small CPUs. Interestingly, in contrast...
  11. N

Malina: 6x Raspberry Pi CM4 compute cluster

Build’s Name: Malina (meaning "Raspberry" in various Slavic languages) Operating System/ Storage Platform: Plain Debian 11 plus LXD and Ceph CPU: 6x ARM Cortex-A72 Motherboard: DeskPi Super6C Chassis: SuperMicro SuperChassis 510T-203B Drives: 6x WD Red SN700 (1000 GB, M.2 2280) RAM: 6x 8GB...
  12. N

Supermicro X13SAE-F W680 Motherboard Mini-Review

And how about the reverse: Does this motherboard allow one to use a processor with a GPU, and then use both the IPMI and the GPU at the same time (e.g., for Plex pass-through), such as for example on many of the X**-**H-F motherboards?
  13. N

A 6x 2.5GbE Intel Pentium N6005 Fanless OPNsense pfSense Firewall Option

I like the fact that it has an external COM port. Do these NICs support PTPv2? Is so, then even though 2.5Gbe is overkill, a simple serial GPS with PPS, and dedicated PTPv2 links to your few servers, and you have a cheap solution that will keep your servers within 1-10 μs of each other. A...
  14. N

I naturally gravitated towards this topic, since one of my X11SSH-F boards seems to have given up the ghost. IIUC, the X13SAZ-F will support ECC RAM, and it has a proper server airflow orientation for the RAM slots. This might be an interesting combination; I'd never thought I'd run a server...