Recent content by Mithril

1. M

Dell VEP/VMWare Edge/Velo Cloud SD-WAN/VeraCloud VEP1400/VEP1400-X firewall units

Might have missed it, has anyone tested actual speed with pfsense/opnsense for NAT + firewall and the SFP+ ports on a 620 or better? I would assume best case is the firewall OS running "bare metal"?
  2. M

Dell VEP/VMWare Edge/Velo Cloud SD-WAN/VeraCloud VEP1400/VEP1400-X firewall units

Ok so question, is a 620 or 640 "worth getting". It sounds like most of the issues are figured out and all ports can work? It also sounds like people have had levels of luck with pfsense, opnsense, and proxmox. Does anyone have actual power numbers for a 620 or 640? The manual I found said to...
  3. M

Multi-NVMe (m.2, u.2) adapters that do not require bifurcation

For a "$ per TB" it can still make sense, especially if you are doing some level of parity, to do more drives around 4TB than fewer around 15/16TB. Not to mention getting used enterprise SSDs where the price delta per TB is quite large
  4. M

U.2 to quad M.2 carrier (2.5 inch form factor)?

Thanks for doing these tests and sharing!
  5. M

Thats not TOO bad for a pcie switch I think? Also yeah, I would imagine that the switch + 4 drives would need active cooling in that density for sure
  6. M

Please help with this Optane D4800X

I did end up getting it working. Doing ANY low level LBA format tends to take time, this was faster than the 12TB HDDs I had to do recently lol Not sure what is up with windows, they seem to behave better in Ubuntu. Will have to spent more time looking this weekend
  7. M

Please help with this Optane D4800X

Hey, so FWIW I picked up some of (what I believe) is the same drive off ebay. it took me a bit to get it working only finding this thread in like hour 3 of troubleshooting lol. first I needed to reset the lock on the drive using the PSID on the drive and intel's tool following the instructions...
  8. M

Awesome info thanks @Sacrilego ! 2x pcie gen3 per drive is unfortunate, but likely to not be an issue when using drives together really in an application where aggregating drives into fewer lanes is desireable (either so few PCI lanes you are not going to be pushing 100Gb anyways, or so many you...
  9. M

Ran across one of these on ebay, do they work with any drive of the right length?
  10. M

WTB: M.2 2280 to U.2 cable part J15713-001

Is that amazon listing still the best place to find these, or the best M.2 to U.2 cable option? If any of the sff-8643 to U.2 cables are safe that would work too
  11. M

Dell Poweredge R240 - Barebones w/ Xeon E-2124 - $180

Whats the idle power and noise like on these?
  12. M

ARISTA DCS-7050SX-64 R going for US$125.00 | EBay

How power hungry are these?
  13. M

Dell YPNRC questions

Did you ever try this? If not can you get some high res pictures of which pins are and are not connected on the card? we could compare to "standard" cables perhaps.