Recent content by Mithril

1. M

Need recommendations for 10 Gbps NIC cards and switch for home lab

Does it need to be x4 PHYSICAL? Most (I only say most because it's possible for cards to not follow spec correctly :) ) cards should downgrade correctly on powers of 2, all the way down to 1x lane. As for Gen 3, unless you are running dualport even 2.0 at 4x electrical gets you 16Gbits/s. If...
  2. M

Dead HP H240?

Any thoughts?
  3. M

Dead HP H240?

Picked up an HP H240 (this one: Document Display | HPE Support Center ) used "working" from ebay. I've now tried it on 3 motherboards, 3 different OSes and it seems dead. In windows the device shows up, drivers install OK but it has an error and does not work. Ubuntu/Debian see it fine, load...
  4. M

10GbE or multi-gigabit NIC in PCIe 3.0 x1?

Not that I am aware of. That being said, there are some not to expensive 10GB cards that are PCI3.0 that will work fine if electrically connected at 1x, so long as the slot is physically big enough or open ended. (All PCIe cards "should" work when connected with less lanes but I've run into the...
  5. M

What happened to the forums?

The dark theme is WAY better, hopefully the... colorfulness can be toned down too? (fingers crossed)
  6. M

Gauge Interest in Arista 40G QSFP UNIV Transceivers

Oh man that is really tempting, I've been wanting to get my hands on some QSFP BiDi, and that they work with single mode or multimode is very cool!
  7. M

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

No picture but I can confirm my ICX6610-24 runs about 80watts according to my killawatt meter once it is fully booted and the fans spin down from "takeoff speed".
  8. M

Can anyone with a 6610 and a Rev B or C power supply comment on noise with 1 fan tray VS 2? My 6610-24 came with 1 fan tray but if it makes a big noise difference (aka "do the fans spin slower for the same load") I'm going to pick up a second fan tray. Also whats the part number I should search for?
  9. M

Thanks for the more authoritative answer :)
  10. M

So a "DAC" is a cable, stands for "direct attach cable", think of it almost like a HDMI cable, many many copper wires that (mostly) connect from one side to the other, insulation from interference, etc. There's a small bit of electronics in each connector that tells what you plugged it into what...
  11. M

Ok so SFP+ on both the cards and the switch then. Mellanox tends to work with "everything" so as long as either the DAC or optics are compatible on the switch side you should be fine. Are you within DAC distance (5M max for passive DAC) or do you need to go with optics?
  12. M

Which model of the Connect X 3 cards do you have? Some have SFP+ ports on the back, some have QSFP+ ports
  13. M

Hey all, So I've read this thread in bits and pieces over time so forgive me if I have missed/forgotten things :) I've got a 6610 on the way, before I start messing with it I'd like to dump/save everything I can as backups (licences, firmware), feel free to just point out the previous posts...
  14. M

ICX7150 for repair?

Well now I'm reconsidering the offer I put in, and it almost sounds like "the Thread" should be updated with a warning that these seem to have a high power supply failure rate
  15. M

ICX7150 for repair?

Is 56V correct? I saw a different voltage in another reddit thread