Recent content by Mech

1. M

TL-LINK TL-SG2008 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch,Advanced QoS,Layer 2 andEnterprise Level Management Fe

Yeah - that's pretty much my thinking. If people are in a position to start hacking at my switches, I've got bigger problems... (besides, unless your locking down your wireless AP by mac address, thats going to be a much bigger security concern...)
  2. M

TL-LINK TL-SG2008 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch,Advanced QoS,Layer 2 andEnterprise Level Management Fe

Personally, I the switches are fine for their intended use. These are NOT top-of-rack switches, they are designed for home use behind a firewall. As such, I think its fine for what it does. Even the author of that blog says he'd recommend them to others. I'm actually thinking of swapping my...
  3. M

Just got this from newegg for ~ $75 for an 8 port model - figured I'd share my initial review.. So Far - I'm impressed 07/09/2016 Pros: I _just_ received this, so its an initial overview - will try to remember to update it after its been in use a while.. So far, this is a surprisingly...
  4. M

C6100 drive trays...

Well I couldn't find the 'correct' trays for my C6100 at less then $30 each, so I took a hack sax to the J8 part.. cut the fat 'prong' in half, just below the second light pipe, and it seems to be working fine :-) Given the parts were like $10, instead of $30 - I'm pretty happy with the solution...
  5. M

In search of a new 2 / 4 node to replace my C6100

For what its worth - I got my S6500 8 node gen _6_ cheap - and it does what I need.... If you can find gen 8 gear cheap, that would probably be even better! The HP stuff seems very solid. I'd probably look at the DL2000's to replace the C6100 going forward. if you go HP, REALLY look for one...
  6. M

HedVig vs Ceph

Anyone tried HedVig ( Hedvig | Modern storage for modern business ) It seems to be commercial only, no free trial and locked behind a ton of "give us your email addy so we can pester the hell out of you" :-p I'd be curious to know how it stacks up against Ceph and Nutanix Thanks!
  7. M

Anyone Dealt with these guys for C6100 parts ?

Hi! I'm having ZERO luck finding 'real' D273R parts, everyone keeps trying to send me 7JC8P parts, which don't fit in my chassis. According to the pictures, these should be what I need: Dell PowerEdge 7JC8P D273R FOR C6220 C6100 2.5" HDD Tray Caddy Just wondered if anyone has dealt with...
  8. M

Anyone Using CEPH or LeoFS ?

sounds like it - its Galera based. But I havent really looked at it in a couple of years....
  9. M

Private cloud for web development... how?

I like Foreman as well - it makes it really easy to reconfigure metal. Cobbler is nice too - but Foreman seems to have the 'momentum'. You got lots of good answers for your immediate question, so I'm just gonna chime in on the 'learning cloud stuff' aspect... I'd also look at CEPH and CoreOS...
  10. M

C6100 boards biting the dust at a fast clip...

I'd try monitoring the IPMI on the working nodes at idle, when a big render drops, and when it finishes... Pay particular attention to temperatures AND voltages. Having 40 machines suddenly go from idle to 100% might be causing problems for your power... I know the top 2 nodes (node 1, node3)...
  11. M

Oh! I should probably mention - if you go the percona route for databse, you don't NEED shared storage. Which simplifies things a lot!
  12. M

This was a 'budget build' for a client - so its not fully HA, etc. I built it like 2-3 years ago, so this is from memory... It was built using 2x 4 node C6100's. Each node was 2xquad core, 24G (48G) RAM, and I think dual HDD. Basically, 1 6100 was used for VMs, and the other for a CEPH...
  13. M

True - not something I'd rely on yet for client/production data - but good time to start testing it...
  14. M

Yeah - I built a wordpress cluster that used CephFS for the wordpress directory..... it was really nice - no syncronization issues with multiple word press VMs and the uploads/images were very light so there was basically no speed penatly in using it. LeoFS parallel NFS could be interesting -...
  15. M

Hi! Anyone using CEPH or LeoFS ? I've been using CEPH (including CephFS - its actually pretty good for a 'beta') for production for a few years now... but I'm wondering how LeoFS compares in terms of speed/ease of use/reliability. CEPH basically gives you 'all in one' with block storage...