Recent content by lunadesign

1. L

Intel P5500/P5600 availability?

That's what I was thinking too. But wouldn't the part numbers start showing up somewhere and the parts showing up on review sites at launch?
  2. L

Intel P5500/P5600 availability?

Anyone know when the Intel P5500/P5600 SSDs will be available? The June 18th press release announcing these parts said they are "available today". However, I haven't seen them anywhere yet and the ark.intel.com entries for these products still don't show the orderable part numbers for any of...
  3. L

Samsung PM1735 - No drivers, no firmware found anywhere?

OK. That's really good to know. Looks like my choices are limited to one: Intel-branded Intel SSDs. Really hoping the new SSDs they are supposedly announcing next month are good ones. Thanks!
  4. L

What about Micron? (Not sure if they are any good, though)
  5. L

This thread was an eye-opener as I was looking at some of the Samsung enterprise SSDs. I assumed their firmware and driver support would be similar to Intel's but obviously that was a bad assumption. Does anyone have a helpful list of which enterprise SSD manufacturers sell to / support end users?
  6. L

First pfSense Build

Good points. I guess we'll find out. I ordered an 84W adapter from their site and I'll report back if I see any issues. Thanks again!
  7. L

First pfSense Build

OK, that's reassuring to know. I remember the Mini-Box guys being pretty good years ago. However, I was a bit concerned when I saw their bricks were so low priced and the ones they placed on Amazon had iffy reviews. I was also surprised their online store isn't HTTPS -- kinda surprising in...
  8. L

First pfSense Build

Thank you VERY much for confirming 4-pin will work. It's kind of frustrating that the mobo manual wouldn't provide this sort of useful info. As for the P4 to DC cable, the only one I've found so far is here. Any advice on power bricks? The SM branded ones seem very pricey but it also sounds...
  9. L

First pfSense Build

Are you sure I only need to use 4 pins? The manual refers to it as the "8-pin DC power connector" but doesn't say anything about only using half of it. :) Also, where do I find a cable that converts from the usual power brick barrel connector to the 4/8 pin block? Thanks!
  10. L

First pfSense Build

I agree the Xeon D is probably overkill but nice to have the headroom (as long as it's not ridiculous). I tend to keep my gear in service for 5+ years and its hard to know where things will go 5 years from now. It wouldn't surprise me if IPS/IDS functionality gets more complicated and requires...
  11. L

First pfSense Build

That is mighty interesting! For some reason, I can't find that board on the Supermicro site. It looks like a proprietary motherboard size. I'll have to ponder this. Thanks!
  12. L

First pfSense Build

My switches are pretty simple L2 switches (Mikrotik CSS326 and Cisco SG220) so I sized up the pfSense box to handle the inter-VLAN routing. Plus it allows me to run some filtering (ie, home subnet can't get to any of the work subnets). pfSense is it's own OS (actually a FreeBSD fork) but as...
  13. L

First pfSense Build

Good question. I probably should have explained that in the original post. It's basically to avoid cases where a 1G connection between the pfSense box and the 1st switch would be saturated by a mixture of inter-VLAN routing (i.e., copying a large file from one system to another on a different...
  14. L

First pfSense Build

Thanks! On the disk config, yeah, I kinda figured that was the case. However, I saw a bunch of forum posts about UFS corruption after power failures. While I've got a UPS, I've had a few extended outages that outlasted my UPS. So, apparently ZFS is the recommendation nowadays. And since I'm...
  15. L

First pfSense Build

I'm looking for a fairly robust firewall/VLAN router for my home office/lab to replace my ancient/overtaxed Cisco ASA 5505. I've got a bunch of physical and virtualized servers and a few WAPs all running on a handful of subnets. My current WAN is 100 Mbit fiber but I'll likely upgrade to 500...