Recent content by Loto_Bak

1. L

[SOLD] Norco 4220/4224 Front Fan Bezel 3x120mm

Hmmm I recently decomisioned my 4224 but never had any issues cooling with the stock fan setup. It blows a lot of air even when slowed down for noise. Just ensure you close the vents on any trays you are not using.
  2. L

Long duration UPS without completely breaking the bank

I use a marine inverter/charger Magnum MS2812 but there is a smaller MS2012. It'll run continuous duty (2000w for the MS2012), has a 30A @ 120v input and a big charger (200+ Amp DC). I work in the marine industry so am familiar with them. I got mine used.
  3. L

SMART data with DS4486 and HGST NetApp branded drives

The trays require interposers. SATA disks supported only smartctl -a -d sat will pull smart data on a ds4486
  4. L

SAS Expansion - Single Server + External Array vs. Twin Servers, for small network.

I would go option A But don't bother with a expansion card... get a Netapp DS4246 off ebay. (Or a DS4486 for 48 disks) They're usually quite cheap and great hardware.
  5. L

NetApp 4486 for ~$280 shipped

I didn't pull PSU's out when testing, just ran them unplugged. All fans on them run regardless if they are powered directly or not. I would say noise was the same with 2 or 4 PSUs powered.
  6. L

Canada SOLD: GA-7PESH2 Desktop Workstation

Hmm. Tempted... I'm over in Nanaimo but have lots of freight accounts
  7. L

New Home Build Wiring Recommendations 2020 Edition

I rewired my low voltage during home during a renovation 1.5 years ago. Here are my recommendations and discoveries after the fact; Cat6 wiring: Use boxes of Cat6a. Cost difference to cat5e is negligible and support for video and 10g over cat6a is superior. Cat6a terminates to keystones...
  8. L

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I made one but as others have mentioned it will not support the switch's weight. I have most of the weight sitting on a couple ears mounted under my desk from a print on thingiverse. Also the holes are slightly small for the screws into the switch. The screws will tap a thread in the print if...
  9. L

To answer my own question yes it appears different models are stackable From Brocade stackable models
  10. L

Anyone know if I can stack a 6610 and a 6450 together?
  11. L

FreeNAS is becoming TrueNAS Core

I think it comes down to how they split the features between core and the full version
  12. L

Just got a couple of these units finally. My unit has 2 IOM6's with 4 PSUs Unit all 4 PSU I get; 4.2 amps at initial startup 3.2 amps mid startup 1.4 amps idle 1.0 amps with only 1 PSU enabled Noise is very acceptable IMO. Let me know if you guys have any questions I can awnser
  13. L

HP 649281-B21 ConnectX-3 VPI MCX354A-FCBT $25 shipped Ebay

For those that need a full height bracket There is a 3d printed model available on thingiverse Full Height Bracket for QSFP PCIe Network Adapter (HP/Mellanox 649281-B21 Infiniband) by samuelpinches I printed a couple myself. Work fine but you'll need screws and nuts
  14. L

I'll measure when it shows up but I'm still 10 days out likely. (Shipping to Canada) You shouldn't need transposers unless you want to use SAS dual link on a SATA drive. Do you need the controller redundancy?