Recent content by lmk

1. L

Execellent deal on Toshiba SSDs

@Ninja1283 Yes, it is the same model and they were also half the price - $75 each :)
  2. L

Fusion-io ioDrive 2 1.2TB Reference Page

What is the latency like? E.g. compared to S3500 or S3700?
  3. L

Seagate Nytro XP7102 NVMe Add-in Card Released

Hey @Patrick, after the 2nd image you may have a typo Key specs are read speeds of 2,500 MB/s with read speeds of 900MB/s. 70/30 mixed workload IOPS are rated at 110K. Should probably be: Key specs are read speeds of 2,500 MB/s with write speeds of 900MB/s. 70/30 mixed workload IOPS are rated...
  4. L

Announcing DemoEval – The better way to try enterprise hardware

@Patrick why not use SED drives? A full secure wipe is a few seconds/minutes away.
  5. L

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

@GuybrushThreepwood obligatory 'please run passmark and sth benchmarks' :)
  6. L

ZFS vs. ESXI VM Datastore

@T_Minus Not sure if this is the case: I remember an issue with ESXi and sync where the setting would not be obeyed even when set to disabled Do not have the original information, but quickly searching online showed this as an example: SOLVED: Performance Issues With FreeBSD ZFS Backed ESXi...
  7. L

10G Parts Advice

@JimPhreak post back with noise level, please :) Specs show 56.7dB, but that seems to be on startup and it settles back down
  8. L

NVMe - Seagate releasing 10GB/s (x16) SSD

Seagate Demonstrates Fastest-Ever SSD Flash Drive | Business Wire 10 Gigabytes(!) per second throughput for the SSD - nothing listed about IOPS The NVMe uses 16 PCIe lanes and an 8 lane model will be also released Things are escalating quickly :D So...how long before someone here gets one? :)
  9. L

2016: Starting the decline of 1 Gigabit Ethernet

@Chuckleb @RobertFontaine just beware of the ethernet over power adapters/powerline advertised speeds; your milage /will/ vary it can definitely be a quick and easy way to get connectivity (if it works - depending on your home's wiring) however, there is a big delta between the advertised...
  10. L

LENOVO TS140 E3-1225V3 3.2/4/2X500GB/DVD/WSE2012 489$CND

Nice find, as it includes the Server OS. "Just in Case Someone is Wondering" Side note and Pro-tip: Server 2012 Essentials cannot be upgraded to Server 2012R2 Essentials - requires format and install.
  11. L

The Dell PowerEdge C6220 Thread

I remember that one of those new models allows for dynamic allocation of drives to nodes, so that may be the reason. However, I cannot recall which version (6220 or 6220 V2) it was released/started with.
  12. L

Server 2016 TP 4 now available

Apparently 2nd half of 2016... :| Thanks, Nadella! :P
  13. L

Proxmox VE 4.0

@Patrick do it
  14. L

Low power and low noise home server.

@Ponury Typ The HP ML and the Lenovo TS and TD servers can be quit(er) - some more than others. Off the top of my head they can range anywhere from higher 20s, to 30s, to 40s dBA. However, it seems a universal thing, now, that as soon as you use a 'non-recognized' (i.e. not...
  15. L

HGST NAS 7200 RPM vs WD RE 4TB

@Chuckleb Lustre with ZFS? Or? :)