Recent content by kevin wilson

1. K

Looking for a quiet workstation

Hi all, I am looking for a quiet workstation, which can be put inside a living room and will not make more noise then an ordinary desktop. It should have at least 3x16 pci slots for functional tests with nics ( i am making a networking research). I do not need a powefull cpu, it is primarily...
  2. K

Break out cable 100GB for mellanox nic

Does a break out cable which is known to work with connectx 5 should work out of te box without furteher setting (like ethtool) ? I am referring to a 100 GB cable with 4 x 25 ends, which connects a dual port connectx-5 nic to I40E . Or does it require setting or flushing firmware with tools...
  3. K

Break out cable and connectx NIC

Hello, Does a break out cable which is known to work with connectx 5 should work out of te box without furteher setting (like ethtool) ? I am referring to a 100 GB cable with 4 x 25 ends, which connects a dual port connectx-5 nic to I40E . Or does it require setting or flushing firmware with...
  4. K

DAC cables for mellanox https ConnectX MCX4121A-XCAT

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. Actually, there is no MCX4121A-XCAT in that link. Also I do not see a different name in Mellanox MCX4121A-XCAT ConnectX-4 Lx EN Network Interface Card 10GbE Dual-Port SFP28 PCIe3.0 x8 ROHS R6 So still i do not know which cable should I use. Regards, kevin
  5. K

DAC cables for mellanox https ConnectX MCX4121A-XCAT

Hi all, I have bought two dual port mellanox nics, as in the following link: Mellanox MCX4121A-XCAT ConnectX-4 Lx EN Network Interface Card 10GbE Dual-Port SFP28 PCIe3.0 x8 ROHS R6 Each of these nics is installed on a different host. I want to buy a DAC cable of 2 meter length, for...
  6. K

Dell Precision 3620 Xeon E3 workstation

Hello, My question is about Dell Precision 3620 Xeon E3 workstation Which has a sata disk (non SSD). See the links following. Is the noise level of such a workstation higher than an average desktop ? Can it be used on a desk on which I work all day, in the sense that it will not have a higher...
  7. K

Startech Intel X540 RJ45 dual port nic

Hello, Does anyone here have an experience with the following StarTech 2-Port PCI Express 10GBase-T Ethernet Network Card - with Intel X540 Chip: 2-Port PCI Express 10GBase-T Ethernet Network Card - with Intel X540 Chip My question is this: I need it for a desktop, which means that I need a...
  8. K

SFP28 optical module and SFP/SFP+

Is there difference in physical form between SFP28 optical and SFP/SFP+ ? Should SFP28 optical module (like the one in the following link) fit into SFP/SFP+ cage ? https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/ethernet-sfp28-optics-product-brief.pdf Kevin
  9. K

Connecting Mellanox connectx4 nic 25GB with intel i40e Fortville nic 25GB

Does anyone have any experience with connecting Mellanox connectx4 nic 25GB with intel i40e Fortville nic 25 GB ? Both are sfp/sfp+ 28. Are there any chances that an Intel or Mellanox cable will work ?
  10. K

Patch LC LC Fiber cable for 10GB nic

Hi, I need confirmation that my understanding is correct: as a general rule, given that the optical transceivers are the ones officially supported by the nic vendor, then any LC to LC fiber cable will do. And that same fiber cable can be used in 1GB setup, 10GB setup, 25 GB setup , 40GB, 100 GB...
  11. K

Patch LC LC Fiber cable for 10GB nic

Hi, I am interested in connecting 10 GB ports of IXGBE nic by an optic cable. This nic have optical transcivers to which I can connect LC male to LC male fiber optic cable. A short, MMC cable is good for me. My question is: i am a newbie to optic cables. From the search I made in eBay, I do not...
  12. K

How many nodes, is TS140 still a good choice, vsan, learning lab?

Hi, Actually I opened a thread in this forum several days ago, about buying a quiet server that can be used in a living room. One of the responses i got was that TS140 is going to be replaced by TS150 soon. I do not know how much this fact is important to you. I myself did not decide yet. I want...
  13. K

Quiet Desktop Server

Hi, >I just ordered an HP Proliant ML30 gen 9, from ebay, new open box, $400 shipped. Should be similar quiet >to the TS140, has xeon, can do 64 gig ram. I made further research and I see this info about acoustic noise of this server, in the official HP site for "HPE ProLiant ML30...
  14. K

Quiet Desktop Server

Thanks, Patrick, >I agree on the E3 version if it is possible. If you can use all SSDs it helps with noise quite a bit First a real storage newbie question: this servers comes with a hardware RAID controller. Does this controller support SSD drives and works with them the same as it works with...
  15. K

Quiet Desktop Server

Hi, Thanks for the info! This is interesting, I am seriously considering now this option; Moreover, learning about ILO is also an advantage. If there are other readers who have worked with HP Proliant ML30 gen 9, and can comment about the noise level and whether it is good to place in a living...