Recent content by JustinTeim

1. J

Seagate SAS EXOS HDDs, 4kn or 512e reformatted ?

Thank you for your reply, but you did not answer either question I asked.
  2. J

Seagate SAS EXOS HDDs, 4kn or 512e reformatted ?

Seagate's website shows the EXOS 16TB SAS (12 Gbps) HDDs available as 512e/4kn format (ST16000NM002G) or as native 4kn format (ST16000NM007G). I would prefer the native 4kn, but it cannot be found on any of the US "where to buy" list, or on the German search engine heise.de/preisvergleich/...
  3. J

Looking for SuperMicro backplane BPN-SAS3-846EL1-N8

Any authorized reseller (i.e. who buys directly from Supermicro) can order a replacement part. If you contact Supermicro directly, by e-mail or telephone, the sales dept or tech support should be able to help you: Contact Us | Supermicro
  4. J

Intel roadmap for Xeon-E ?

Can anyone here share info (or rumors, I'm flexible) about when Intel might refresh or replace the current Xeon E-22xx lineup ?
  5. J

Workstation NVMe ssd recommendations

Thank you for your comments. As with most consumer SSDs, WD does not publish the UBER rate for the SN720 (just as Samsung does not publish that spec for its EVO Plus SSD). However, if we compare the MTBF of 1.75 (WD SN720) or 1.50 (Samsung EVO Plus) to a hard drive (e.g. Seagate EXOS, MTBF...
  6. J

Motherboard will be a Supermicro X11SCA-W; it will take a 2280 or 22110 size ssd. The chassis is not yet chosen.
  7. J

Recommendations are welcome for an NVMe ssd for these requirements: (1) balanced read write (workstation, CPU Xeon E-2286g); (2) URE (UBER) 10E17 (published by the mfr). That might seem simple, but the combination of highest reliability and balanced read/write seems elusive; the web pages from...
  8. J

Something better than Norco?

Look here: Chenbro 4U heise online Preisvergleich / Deutschland
  9. J

Please help find this 5U chassis

Please help -- what is a SM passive cooler and baffle ??
  10. J

@zer0sum & @Deslok -- Thank you both for your recommendations.
  11. J

The build will be an Intel E-2276g on a SuperMicro X11SCA-W motherboard. Per Noctua, a 4U case can only take a CPU cooler that is 150mm height, and most of their better products are taller. If you could recommend a CPU cooler under 150mm (and quiet !), please do so, and thank in advance.
  12. J

@BeTeP, Thanks for being persistent; it's easy to overlook a comment on a forum. As I replied above, the case is made by DynaPowerUSA and it does take an ATX case. However, given the comments about build quality, and the price, I will pass. Again, thank you !
  13. J

Jason, Thanks for your help, especially re quality level. The chassis is apparently made by (or at least sold by) DynapoweruUSA.com, for $400+, but the website photos are not quite the same. At this price level, a Supermicro 4U looks like a better bet.
  14. J

marcoi - yes, I think it is the same case. Thank you ! So far, the only places I've seen it listed are in the US, Vietnam and India, but shipping to Europe will be prohibitive; so, I'm still keen to find the manufacturer.
  15. J

Thank you for the link, but I'm not looking for a high-density (24x3.5") case, just a 5U (to fit a tall CPU cooler) with a few hot-swap discs. The photo I posted appears to be a good quality case, so I would be grateful if anyone can find it.