Recent content by Jez van den Oever

1. J

Anyone else with troubles on ASRock ep2c602-4ld16?

Ignore that you've already posted that answer :)
  2. J

I did a 48 hour memory soak test (memtest86) and heavy memory tests with Linux stress but nothing popped out. I too have tried just 4 rdimms. Made no difference. The only thing that made a difference is no PCI-e cards - then I could install Windows 2012R2 but it wouldn't stay stable. Is this...
  3. J

And another update: I was struggling to get pass-through BluRay (I have 3 x BR to encode the vast DVD/Blu-ray library we have) in the Linux VM so I decided to be brave and install Windows 7. I have put off Windows 7 because I've built an entire software update suite in PowerShell for all my...
  4. J

Update as of today: I went out and bought a Supermicro board (X9DAI) and to my surprise had exactly the same issues as above. So I returned to my Asrock MB to figure out what else I could do. I decided to explore Linux as that passed all the soak testing, and appeared stable as a rock on the...
  5. J

Same conclusion I am getting to. I've been in touch with ASRock support (very good by the way) and they are also getting to the same conclusion - they've asked me to try different variations and they've all failed. Edit to above: Changing the CPUs from 2670 to 2670v2 simply moves the freeze...
  6. J

I know :) I was just pointing out that with bootable memtest86+ and with Linux running memory *and* CPU tests, there is no freezing whatsoever, but as I said, it only takes a simple install for either Windows 10, server 2016 or server 2012R2 for my setup to freeze. Gotta be the motherboard...
  7. J

Curious - Windows 2012 Server R2, once phase 1 installation (copying all files to disk, after re-partitioning and then rebooting) starts, the server freezes. Approximately the same place every time. Thoughts from anyone? Is this a duff motherboard? But if so why does Linux work flawlessly...
  8. J

I think that's a worthwhile suggestion except that I've rather got my heart set on Windows 10. I looked at Server 2016 because it is the same architecture. Not that I'm a Windows die hard (I grew up on Linux, starting 0.996 with Slackware :) ), just that I have an awful lot of auto-install...
  9. J

Yes, latest version, had to ensure that because the first set of CPUs were ES/QS. Windows 10 checksum is good, haven't checked 2016 ISO, so I'll check that. I am not familiar with Linux microcode updates - when Linux booted, the Ubuntu distro asked to install a "Intel microcode update" driver...
  10. J

Hi all, Been reading a lot of threads here, including an older thread on Windows 10 freezing with ASRock ep2c602-4ld16, but I think I have an issue with the latest versions of Windows 10 & Windows 2016 Server. Sorry for long thread, but I need to ask around as the issues I'm experiencing mean...