Recent content by jcl333

1. jcl333

SR IOV worth it?

Hello, I have never tried to use SR IOV before (I have used pass-through) and I was wondering if it is a good idea, mainly in terms of reliability but also in terms of bang for the buck. My potential use case is iSCSI between a FreeNAS VM and a Windows VM. I could just setup a virtual switch...
  2. jcl333

LSI 9361-8i 12Gb/s RAID w/CacheVault+supercap $175

Yup, that is the article I started with as well, I just found that I could get the M.2 versions much cheaper.
  3. jcl333

No, it is a specific cable you have to get from Broadcom AFAK
  4. jcl333

I personally do have an LSI/Broadcom tri-mode HBA, but I don't use it for that because I think that is a very inefficient/expensive way to do it. The cards are expensive, it eats up ports, and you need a special proprietary cable that is expensive. For me, I am doing NVMe with some Supermicro...
  5. jcl333

It has RAID5, RAID6, Fast Path, basically everything except CacheCade 2.0 What is unfortunate is that it appears the previous gen card can use hardware keys to unlock CacheCade 2.0, this card requires a software key and those appear to only be available for $100's of dollars. But it doesn't...
  6. jcl333

Anyone have success using T10-PI / 520-byte protection information with LSI RAID?

Yes, reading the documents, drives like these can still report as 512-bytes logically even though they are actually formatted 520. Notice that it even stipulates this in the details about the protection. Actually, that would be interesting, if I format one of my drives that way, I wonder how...
  7. jcl333

Anyone have success using T10-PI / 520-byte protection information with LSI RAID?

Hello, I just got some really nice LSI 9361-8i controllers, and I noticed in the software that this controller and the drives I am using support this feature to protect against silent data corruption. Older post here has the sg-format commands to do it...
  8. jcl333

Received my cards, these things are truly awesome cards, very happy.
  9. jcl333

Well, if you have the money and the need to do all NVMe then more power to you. I have some NVMe for boot drives and a few other things, but no way to do RAID without a very expensive controller, or I guess you could do it under FreeNAS or something. I inherited a crap load of decent SAS eSSDs...
  10. jcl333

LSI MegaRAID LSI 9361-8i SAS 8-Port 12Gb/s RAID Controller w/CacheVault+Battery Listing is for $189.95, they accepted my offer of two/$175. Also, if you use the eBay app on a phone to make the purchase, you can get another $10 off (code for that I used was YUSAPPGR28BLLYQM ) There are allot...
  11. jcl333

Free: SuperChassis 116TQ-R700CB (Boston area if possible)

Hello, I purchased this chassis because I wanted the motherboard, but I have no use for it. Doing major spring cleaning, I was going to toss it, but there is actually nothing wrong with it. So, I thought I would offer it to my friends here at STH ;-) SC116TQ-R700CB | 1U | Chassis | Products |...
  12. jcl333

Go-to RAID cards for ESXi 7.x?

What made you choose NappIT over FreeNAS or other options?
  13. jcl333

Go-to RAID cards for ESXi 7.x?

Oh, how do you like NappIT?
  14. jcl333

LSI Mr SAS 9361-8i $199 on ebay, legit?

Actually, it looks like a battery, but that is a super capacitor, supposedly it has an unlimited lifespan. -JCL