Recent content by JazzFaucet

1. J

Mining: AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon

When it comes to choosing a CPU for mining Monero, AES support is critical due to the fact that the CryptoNight algorithm is, according to Wikipedia "AES-intensive and memory heavy". With regards to the later, you need 2MB of L3 cache per CPU core. As for the rest, you ideally want as many cores...
  2. J

Dedicated Crypto Mining Open Compute server build.

Did you purchase the OCP server from sonitekcomputer @Klee, or did you find a better deal elsewhere?
  3. J

Ubuntu Nvidia Driver issue with Supermicro motherboard

@maxermaxer Short answer yes. Long answer, there are two ways to do it. One is to use standard Docker and configure your container to use the nvidia driver installed on the Docker host. The second is to use nvidia-docker which is effectively a docker container with a particular nvidia driver...
  4. J

Bitcoin Cash full node learning experience.

Is there a benefit in running a full Monero node over and above contributing to the resilience of the network? Is this also just for the learning and the LOLs?
  5. J

Monero Pricing and What to do with XMR Thread

Having a look at the Bithumb website just now to see if XMR was listed yet (its not), I note that it now features a banner stating that there will be a 1% XMR deposit bonus, plus a reward for the top 50 traders over the opening weekend. It appears that XMR is due to be listed at midnight on 30...
  6. J

@Marsh In the "real" world I run an investment portfolio consisting of all the usual suspects - stocks, bonds, real estate. That's strictly for retirement, and money goes in but does not come out until then. Or I die. Whichever comes first. Conversely, the XMR mining I am currently doing is...
  7. J

Very tempting, but I must pay off the existing hardware first! Just out of curiosity, are others keeping the coins they mine, selling them as they go, or a combination of both? I am thinking of putting 10% aside as a long term bet (10% of the total mined set aside for 10 months/years), and...
  8. J

New Dwarfpool Monero Mining Docker Image

@Patrick when you next update the image, can you please consider adding the ability to set a fixed difficulty. I note that for my OCP nodes, difficulty starts off at 100K or so, and gradually decreases to 20K. It would be nice to be able to set that as the starting value instead.
  9. J

$104 and heading to all points north. At least for now.
  10. J

@MiniKnight Thanks for the link - it goes some way to explaining what is going on.
  11. J

Sitting around $80 with a high of $95 :eek:
  12. J

Indeed @Patrick. I was doing my happy dance as XMR rose above $50 USD over the past few days, but see that the difficulty has shot up by 3 billion in the same period. The effect on my cumulative hash rate is quite striking. According to dwarfpool, I seem to of lost around 4kH/s, and I cannot for...
  13. J

Bitcoin up to a high of $3333.00 today.

A friend and I rant at each other about this particular missed opportunity every now and again, but hey - who knew? Given the power to travel back in time to 2010, you could do a million things that would pay off handsomely today - purchase Google stock, start an artisan pickle stand, etc etc...
  14. J

Currently getting ~725H/s on each of 24 nodes similar in configuration to @Klee's (ie Wiwynn SV7210 chassis, 2 x E5-2660 V1s, and 2 x 4GB RDIMMs per node). Not sure if the difference in hash rate is due to using a Docker-based miner, or changes in difficulty since @Klee reported his hash rate...
  15. J

Bitcoin Cash full node learning experience.

Just out of curiosity, is the Jupiter a stand-alone appliance? By which I mean, do you simply plug it into your network and away it goes, or do you need a machine with the block chain on it as described in your first post to act as an intermediary between the Jupiter and the big bad Internet?