Recent content by janusj

1. J

16x3.5" With shipping to Europe, cheap n nasty

Aha! Wasn't familiar with Xcase - looks interesting! And with the shipping quotes Im seeing on eBay it looks like I might be just as well off buying new and 2nd hand.. :-/ Thanks Mike!
  2. J

16x3.5" With shipping to Europe, cheap n nasty

Hi All - I'm hoping you can help me. I'm based in Ireland - and whilst it's generally lovely here some things are just plain hard to come by. One such thing is sas Expanders.. well there are a few knocking about but they seem to all be 1000euro plus. I have an LSI9260-16i (I know this...
  3. J

Intel Cachecade2.0 key with LSI 9260-16i?

It made sense.. ..in addition to your reply I also sucessfully contacted the seller..who actually had tried his key in a lsi9260 board..for some reason the lsi board wouldn't detect the Intel key.. so I guess the answer is.. No - the Intel key wont work on the lsi board. as you mention...
  4. J

Intel Cachecade2.0 key with LSI 9260-16i?

Did anybody ever try connecting an Intel hw key to an LSI board?
  5. J

Drive "failures" and testing

Great stuff, Thanks. I'm happy to report that -for now at least- all is well.. I'm still awaiting a refund for the 1 drive that failed completely - but the rest of them appear to be doing well.
  6. J

Thanks - you were spot on! The feature is in the "controller" section - if anybody else is reading this it's worth noting that you will only gain acess to the "WebBIOS" if you have a Virtual drive defined - fo some reason if you don't the system just gives you a line of text (but no time to...
  7. J

I'll have another look around - all I could find was the "silence alarm" but that doesn't do anything permanent.. I was nearly scrabbling around boxes for my old soldering iron before I eventually dismantled the drive configuration. :-) I you happen to come across it pls let me know.
  8. J

I'm on an Asus p9x79 pro. The onboards won't do raid5 in win7 .. How did you turn off the beeping, its killing me?
  9. J

Did a bit more digging and found this... .. http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/RAID%20Controllers/RAID%20Controllers%20Common%20Files/MegaRAID_Value_Feature_Interop_List_SAS2.pdf .. Like a fool I never knew of the HCL..turns out my drives aren't on the "list" I guess that means the lsi...
  10. J

Hi All, I have a 9260-16i that I had hooked up to 5 wdc30ezrs 3tb and 4 st3000DM001 drives - I've had the wdc drive up and running on a different setup for a while and all seemed well with them, but only very recently acquired the Seagate drives. I know one of the seagates is faulty...
  11. J

Noob wants Raid 5 w. 5x3tb what works best?

I am - a bit... I've had absolutely no exposure bar a failed attempt at installing it on my ps3 back when it was an option.. I literally haven't done anything in a non windows environment since I owned a 286 and mucked about in turbo pascal...aside from rooting a couple of Android phones...
  12. J

I'll defo look into - but right now I'm just keen to get the discs configured so I can listen to some music again.. I was just going to go with ntfs tbh - hadn't even considered looking at alternatives..well not yet atleast. I'll keep it around for now - just in case :-) You...
  13. J

Thanks :-) Already have the cpu here - the base rig runs fine..purchased it for 200usd including shipping (2nd hand) - will be running it at stock speeds. It's just the raid that needs "doing" Hadn't even considered that softraid might actually be a good idea - any further thoughts on...
  14. J

Hi All, 1st of all let me congratulate you all on a great site - I've spent the last week or so lurking, trying to read up and get informed about what to do to get a working setup for my server. Up untill recently I've been using ReadyNas boxes. Started with a SC101 which was crap...