16x3.5" With shipping to Europe, cheap n nasty

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

janusj

May 30, 2012
Meath, Ireland
Hi All - I'm hoping you can help me.
I'm based in Ireland - and whilst it's generally lovely here some things are just plain hard to come by.

One such thing is sas Expanders.. well there are a few knocking about but they seem to all be 1000euro plus.

I have an LSI9260-16i (I know this means i need to run a cable from internal to external..not really a problem..)
I also have 8x3tb drives that presently live on my worksurface which is messy - another 8 have been ordered and are in transit.

Essentially I'd like to tidy stuff up a bit, so it makes sense to get a chassis - but I keep tripping over equipment that's either SCSI, no PSU, no Caddies or just doesn't support the full bandwidth of the drives..

I'm looking to spend as little as possible - I dont care about noise levels, looks, brand, rack or not..
..any info/links guidance is appreciated.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Over in the UK ya got x-case with their (Norco?) chassis. Should also be plenty on ebay.

janusj

May 30, 2012
Meath, Ireland
Aha! Wasn't familiar with Xcase - looks interesting!
And with the shipping quotes Im seeing on eBay it looks like I might be just as well off buying new and 2nd hand.. :-/

Thanks Mike!

rushman

Oct 30, 2013
Hi there,

you can get used 16bay 3U SC836 Supermicro chassis kinda cheap from Germany. They aren't the most recent case rev. but that shouldnt matter for home/DIY use.
It's complete with all trays, red. PSU and some old dual socket 771 system inside. These are kinda popular within the DIY NAS/SAN community here ;)

SuperMicro X7DBE 1x Intel Xeon Dual-Core 5150 2660Mhz 8192MB SATA2 bis zu 16HDD | eBay

Some people got their offers of ~160€ accepted and shipping to Ireland is just about 30€ :)

xena

Apr 10, 2013
Hi there,

you can get used 16bay 3U SC836 Supermicro chassis kinda cheap from Germany. They aren't the most recent case rev. but that shouldnt matter for home/DIY use.
It's complete with all trays, red. PSU and some old dual socket 771 system inside. These are kinda popular within the DIY NAS/SAN community here ;)

SuperMicro X7DBE 1x Intel Xeon Dual-Core 5150 2660Mhz 8192MB SATA2 bis zu 16HDD | eBay

Some people got their offers of ~160€ accepted and shipping to Ireland is just about 30€ :)
great tip for EU folks. thx

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Hello, I'm lurking around the forum quite a long time, I have learned a lot of useful stuff (I have 2 NAS servers with optional virtualization). Thank you all for that.

I have a question regarding the SuperMicro SC836 chassis in that auction. You recommend it for home/DIY use - how loud is it? If I wanted to have it in the same room as my wife works, will it be too loud?

Thanks a lot

Jiri

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
As-is it is quite loud, like almost any rackmount. I've got Supermicro chassis over here that are now whisper quiet thanks to swapping the fans. Those 1he PSU's however are pretty hard to silence, so perhaps look into using them as JBOD's with the power from a different chassis with a silent ATX PSU.

Dumping the loud equipment with the wife however is not a bad idea at all. :cool:

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Thanks for your answers. I was afraid of that. One of the current NAS servers is located in my wife's office, where it's impossible to place the server in a separate room (there is no separate room without uncontrolled public access from outside there :( ) - I was hoping to replace that one's case...

Jiri