Recent content by jabuzzard

1. J

Looking for feedback on what models of "older" Dell PowerEdge servers people use powered Tesla GPUs in

I have at work Dell R730's with NVIDIA V100 cards in. One day when someone stops giving me other tasks they are for a JuypterHub cluster. Note that you have to change the PCI slot covers to solid ones if you fit GPU's as per the Dell documentation. I can also confirm that they work the NVIDIA...
  2. J

Mellanox switch IB <-> ETH switching

Be careful. If you are in datagram mode (the default) then the maximum MTU with IPoIB is 2044. If you go to connected mode then the MTU can go to 65520, but the latency goes up and performance is a lot worse on the default MTU of 2044.
  3. J

Using parallel to sg_format 300+ drives

I use a Bash script to do this that hunts down and reformats all the 520 byte sector size disks attached. You would need to fiddle with the awk pattern matching, this is just to make sure it leaves the system disks on my "Drivenator 1000000" machine alone. #!/bin/bash for dev in $(lsscsi | awk...
  4. J

Dell Compellent SC200 disk shelf (Individual Drive LEDs not working) (how to identify drives in which bay)

Are you sure this is not down to the "ready light meaning" which is a setting on the drives? Use the following to change the state sdparm --set=RLM /dev/sdXX sdparm --clear=RLM /dev/sdXX This is only temporary and is lost if the drive is power cycled. You need to add a --save if you want to...
  5. J

Need help on FC attached SAS/SATA/SSD JBOD

I am going to agree. At this point in time they changed over to using SAS JBOD's on FC arrays. In no small part because they stopped making FC drives and they all became SAS drives instead of the mix of FC drives and SATA drives with interposer boards. This was about the time when nearline SAS...
  6. J

A workstation / home server build: IPMI versus vPro

It has been on github for a while now. I probably have a copy of the .MSI installer somewhere but that is really ancient now and it is all node.js now including the ability to upload the firmware. I guess a bit more work but I never used the Windows stuff being Linux based...
  7. J

QSPF 100Gb Intel PSM4 to 4x25Gb LC to different computers, switches, etc?

You can get fs.com to do custom breakout cables if you want with the breakout where you want. However, given how pricey breakout cables are I would suggest getting a short 1m breakout and using couplers or a patch panel to go your end devices. Then you are unlikely to damage your expensive...
  8. J

Previously good drives suddenly reporting wrong sizes

That sounds to me like the sectors on the drive that holds the firmware have gone bad. When that happens they start reporting the wrong size and often the wrong model numbers. Basically, the firmware on a flash chip is just enough to spin the drive up and load the proper firmware of the spinning...
  9. J

Needed: 10GbE mezzanine NICs for Dell C6220 II

It's probably a bit late but having at the start of the year gone through the process of upgrading an entire rack full of C6220's with mezzanine slot Intel X520-DA2 based cards then I can provide some information. This was an upgrade of our teaching HPC cluster to switch it from using Truescale...
  10. J

Rack Cooling

Unless you carefully match the fans which is unlikely then having two lots of fans will make things worse as they will be fighting against one another. I would just fit an appropriately sized round fan vent to the top of the rack to attach the ducting to. Thought I would remove the grill, and...
  11. J

Lights out management for workstation machines?

Lucky you the X7SPA-HF-D525 never got an update as far as I can tell. The J1900D2Y from AsrockRack had one update back in 2015. That is typical for Supermicro and AsrockRack. To be fair many of the major hardware vendors are the same. I remember Sun X2770's that won't work with latest Sun Java...
  12. J

Lights out management for workstation machines?

Anything can fail. I have a server at work right now with a dead BMC, the server itself is just fine. I have found vPro AMT to be perfectly reliable myself, and not seen issues with it loosing it's IP connectivity. I would also for the record note that something like MeshCommander is like a...
  13. J

Rack Cooling

Yes ducting is better. In theory you could probably do a chimney with ducting but you probably don't want to be running ducting up the side of your property so I would just use an inline duct fan. However you need to make sure the ducting has backdraft protection so if it's windy outside it does...
  14. J

Rack Cooling

Loosing the heat to the outside in hot climate will always be better.
  15. J

Tiered storage configuration

That's the closet thing I have seen to GPFS's tiering ability and looks very interesting. In my personal experience tiering on GPFS makes a huge difference to user experience of the file system performance. Most files are only accessed in a short period after creation. Certainly in an academic...