Recent content by Jab.R

1. J

Infiniband 40Gbps question

The reason the HP Infiniband adapter might be so cheap is that you might not be able to burn the Mellanox firmware which allows it to do Ethernet.
  2. J

SFP compatibility, LX ethernet and FC SFPs, and other noob questions

FC SFP adapters are likely to work at 1Gbe. You need to try. QSFP+ single mode (LR) will connect to SFP+ singlemode or SFP28 singlemode. (LR) when the QSFP+ module supports 10 and 25 respectively
  3. J

New Home Build Wiring Recommendations 2020 Edition

Run single mode for your fiber. Duplex LC-LC can do 100Gbe, just in case :rolleyes:
  4. J

question of mellanox secure firmware

Thanks, unfortunately, mft 4.0.0 doesn't recognize my card MCX555a on Ubuntu 18.04. I'd need to downgrade the OS to 17 ... and then might still not work :( It looks like these HPE cards are designed ONLY to work on HPE and configured with the custom HPE UEFI bios, and they use the secure fw...
  5. J

question of mellanox secure firmware

Bump -- any way to reflash HPE to stock Mellanox MCX555a What I want to do is use this card with Ethernet
  6. J

How Picky are MikroTik Switches About SFP+ Transcievers?

Not all plain RJ45 SFP modules work with Microtik. Consider using singlemode to connect your floors, that way if you ever decide to upgrade to 40 or 100g then the cables will be the same plus singlemode cables are cheap.
  7. J

Can Mellanox ConnectX-5 MCX555A-ECAT be salvaged/reflashed?

so # flint -d /dev/mst/mt525_pciconf0 -i fw-ConnectX5-rel-16_27_1016-MCX555A-ECA_Ax-UEFI-14.20.19-FlexBoot-3.5.901.bin burn -E- Cannot open Device: /dev/mst/mt525_pciconf0. No such file or directory. MFE_NO_FLASH_DETECTED Now what?
  8. J

Can Mellanox ConnectX-5 MCX555A-ECAT be salvaged/reflashed?

I purchased an MCX-555A on ebay, said to be Dell, but the sticker on the back says MCX555A-ECAT. I'm having trouble interrogate it or reflash it using mft tools etc: #lspci ... 0000:17:00.0 Memory controller: Mellanox Technologies MT28800 Family [ConnectX-5 Flash Recovery] ... #mlxfwmanager...
  9. J

Has anyone loaded SONIC on a Mellanox SN2700 switch?

Finally! Need to check the error logs carefully. There's lots of undocumented stuff and any config file errors can throw an exception ... that said its great that we have open source NOS based on Linux, docker etc.
  10. J

Working on this ... its not trivial. So far the 201811 build seems best.
  11. J

I just got my SN2700 up and running in my home lab! ($1200) The red psu led is when only one AC power cord plugged in. The console RJ45 is under MGMT1 which is to the right of MGMT0 in the back. I loaded sonic-mellanox.bin from USB as confirmed by console using the instructions found here: --...
  12. J

Toying with playing with one of these. How smooth is the install over ONIE?
  13. J

pfSense 2.4.4 Released

Anyone know where to download the arm64 version (for the 3100)?
  14. J

Server 2016 vs FreeNAS ZFS for iSCSI Storage

Or use Ubuntu which as of 16.04 has built in ZFS -- I've migrated drives from opendiana a few years ago -- very stable Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. J

24port, lowpower, poe, sfp+ and basic vlans - ideas?

You realize that SFP+ ports can't do POE? How many SFP+ ports, how many POE devices? If you need more than one or two SFP+ ports then you are best off with two devices, one dedicated to POE. Room treatments for headphone users