Recent content by J--

1. J

QSFP28 100G DAC cables QTY 5/$50

That certainly looks more like 3m than 1, it's probably meant more for rack-to-rack cabling than intra-rack. Shame, that that's a good price, but that much extra cabling would cause a pretty big mess in the rack.
  2. J

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

You disabled 44 ports... so you only use 4? 2.5/10G desktop switches come in at 1W idle now...
  3. J

I want one

That's a 67W TDP processor, I wonder how constrained it is in that operating envelope.
  4. J

EXPIRED Brocade ICX7250-48P ($105/ea OBO + Reasonable Shipping)

24Ps go for more/are rarer, in the brief time I've been watching, probably homelabbers watching their electricity bill. :) The 48P idle at 71W per Ruckus, the 24P at 48W, which is a fair bit of difference...
  5. J

Cheap Interesting Chinese 4x2.5g, 2x10G switch, (but also problems with DACs)

Is the issue resolved using DACs with the new firmware? $50 quickly becomes $100 when you need to buy 4 SFP+ transceivers with each switch.
  6. J

HGST Helium 10TB SATA $110

46462 hours is 5.3 years, and a bit more than I'd like. Thanks for being the guinea pig on this though.
  7. J

(ebay) Supermicro SYS-5018D-LNT4

Can you run iperf when you get it? I'd be curious if it could route 10Gb with that processor.
  8. J

EXPIRED fanless Intel® i3 Kaby Lake mini PC for $74.83

Quick Google says Mint will only install by default the open source drivers, which do not support Quicksync. Some leads in this thread: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/how-to-use-qsv-vaapi-on-linux-mint.137329/
  9. J

EXPIRED fanless Intel® i3 Kaby Lake mini PC for $74.83

Do you have the right video drivers that support Quicksync?
  10. J

Brocade ICX6450-48P $99.99 or best offer shipped

I'm willing to be they're just being resold at a higher price.
  11. J

Huge temperature drops from flipping switch into vertical orientation?

I'm betting some people moved it out of the rack too to run it vertically.
  12. J

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

My Kill-A-Watt is reading 39w for a ICX6450-24P, just wiped.
  13. J

[FS] [US] Supermicro X9 + Xeons + DDR3 ECC UDIMM memory

Moving some of this hardware, I have multiples of most things for redundancy. These setups measured ~30w idle/80w max on my Kill-a-watt iirc, which is respectable while being powerful enough for a fair bit of virtualization. 3 x X9SCi-LN4F (quad 1GbE) - Supermicro | Products | Motherboards |...
  14. J

Always on pc for smart home, data storage, personal cloud...

Linus published that video when he was really new to virtualization. Like REALLY new. He was a Windows boys from head to toe and doubt he touched a *NIX system before that. I would never recommend a system that "required* you to boot off a cheap USB drive (is that still a requirement?). I'm...