Recent content by J-san

1. J

AiO: ESXi, OmniOS, Napp-it on Ryzen 3rd gen

Try reducing the # of cores assigned to your OmniOS VM down to 4 to see if that helps. Have you tried measuring the performance of the NVMe by not passing it through to OmniOS, but instead creating a VM datastore on it in ESXi and creating a vmdk under it and adding that to your OmniOS? That...
  2. J

ESXi VMDK on ZFS backed NFS - thin provisioning

I was testing some benchmarks, and was attempting to make some changes to recordsize but the test VMDK was quite large: 2TB thin provisioned vmdk flat file. But.. I found I was waiting a long time to try and do a regular "cp" and "mv" on this 2TB thin provisioned vmdk (15 GB used). Using...
  3. J

ESXi 6.5 with ZFS backed NFS Datastore - Optane Latency AIO benchmarks

Ah, actually looking at my config I actually did use Thick Provisioned Eager-Zeroed for the Optane SLOG VMDK... I added a 200GB Thin provisioned to test later as L2ARC. I'll update the OP to note this.. Cheers!
  4. J

If I get time I may do some Optane benchmarks with it directly passed through to OmniOS instead of as a VMDK hard disk added to the OmniOS VM. Tips on how to directly pass it through to OmniOS: Bug #26508: Intel Optane 900p will not work in ESX passthrough - FreeNAS - iXsystems & FreeNAS...
  5. J

Doing some benchmarking for reducing latency in AIO - ESXi 6.5 to OmniOS ZFS backed NFS datastore. The hardware is: Supermicro X10DRi-T 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz 128 GB RAM DDR4 (@ 1866 Mhz - cpu limited from 2133Mhz) 3 x 9211-8i in HBA IT mode /w P20.0.0.7 firmware 1 x...
  6. J

NVMe - make the most of your PCI-e Slots (How-to config Supermicro boards for AOC-SLG3-2E4T et al)

It's not real without screenshots :) SSDPE21K375GA01 [375GB Optane DC P4800X Series 2.5" U.2 P]
  7. J

NVMe - make the most of your PCI-e Slots (How-to config Supermicro boards for AOC-SLG3-2E4T et al)

I received the AOC-SLG3-2E4 (non R) HBA card and now it works with my X10-DRi-T motherboard. I did have some strangeness that I noticed with the system hanging on with boot code (92?) when trying to enter the BIOS only AFTER changing the Slot's OPROM to EFI. It refused to enter the BIOS...
  8. J

Hi T_Minus, I played around with various settings in PCI SLOT 1 (x8), SLOT 6 (x16), and Slot 4 (x16).. Testing with Slot 1 (x8) set to 4x4 didn't work (setting in screenshot just on Auto here): And likewise the Cpu2 - Port 2 - Slot 6 (x16) didn't work either set to 4x4x4x4 (showing set to...
  9. J

Confirmed that the AOC-SLG3-2E4R does NOT work on a X10DRi-T board - don't ask me how I know :) Even with all the oprom, bifurcation tweaks it was not recognized. Eg. No dice:
  10. J

Suggestions for mounting 2.5" drives inside SuperMicro SC846 chassis

FYI, there's some new(ish?) 2.5" converter drive trays that Supermicro sells: Supermicro (Gen 5.5) Tool-Less 3.5" to 2.5" Converter Drive Tray (MCP-220-00118-0B) https://store.supermicro.com/mcp-220-00118-0b.html 3.5" to 2.5" Converter HDD/SSD Tray Hot-Swappable Tool-less version of...
  11. J

ESXi VMDK on ZFS backed NFS - thin provisioning

Just wondering what people have to say about Thin provisioned VMDK hard disks on NFS datastores, specifically is holepunching or some other similar function good to do after zeroing out free space in a VM? eg after running a SDelete -z to zero out free space I previously wasn't using...
  12. J

FreeBSD/FreeNAS vs OmniOS/Napp-it write speeds when used as ESXi NFS VM datastore?

I think you've already moved past this, but I thought I would add that hacking or tweaking settings to defeat Sync writes is just shooting yourself in the foot. This is a very bad idea, ESXi requests sync writes to NFS stores to ensure data integrity for the VMDKs. You could end up with...
  13. J

X10DRH-CT and AOC-SLG3-2E4R

What was the difference between those two cables? Just looking at ordering a AOC-SLG3-2E4R and want to ensure I'm getting the right cable with it.. Thanks!
  14. J

AIO OmniOS 1500 vs 9000mtu open-vm-tools

Hi Dragonme, Yes, it's a work machine :) , and is also used for hosting VMs locally on it. I haven't played with setting the MTU via the napp-it GUI, although that might be a good spot as well. I have used napp-it for changing the SD.conf for updating the list of drives to force support of...
  15. J

AIO OmniOS 1500 vs 9000mtu open-vm-tools

Hi Dragonme, The hardware is: Supermicro X10DRi-T 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz 128 GB RAM 3 x 9211-8i in HBA IT mode /w P20.0.0.7 firmware I've assigned the following to the OmniOS VM: 4 x Cpus 59392 MB RAM 3 x 9211-8i in passthrough