Recent content by istav555

1. I

Quick question about remote hands request

It would work if I was in the US but I'm not. I'm in between London, Germany and Greece. A trip to the US would cost at least $2000 for a week. And having the server built here and then sent to the US is not something I want to do, there's huge shipping costs and there's the chance for it to go...
  2. I

I know, that's why I thought of looking here and not some random google search. Maybe there will be someone available and willing for some extra paid work that is a known or trusted forum member.
  3. I

I have a half rack in Dallas and would like to find a local tech that can do some remote hands work on demand as/when needed. The datacenter's techs can do some basic work but not everything and certainly not advanced work. For example, I have a 2U drawer for storage. I want to be able to send...
  4. I

Questionable 6TB Drives

These are re-certified drives, not new. Still, I think it's a good deal.
  5. I

EU Intel R2208LT2 4x Xeon E5-4650

Me too, it reached the top of what I was willing to pay so no... Still a good deal though.
  6. I

He understands English, he told me that it's 50€ to ship it to NL ;) I don't even have a colo in NL but if this sells for 1000-1500€ I'll just store it until I use it!!
  7. I

You're right, forgot about these, just thought about the CPUs :) I think I'll pass, it's just too much power......
  8. I

I probably won't like what I hear, but here goes... Am I right in my calculations that 4x 130Watts CPUs will need ~2 Ampère @ 230Volts ??? (assuming max load of course, but I believe that's what most datacenters bill based on)
  9. I

WS2012r2, Hyper-V, SMB 3.0 and RDMA

Once again, thank you all for the replies. Indeed the only way to have RDMA is to go 10GB or faster. Even then, not all 10GB NICs support RDMA. And, after some digging through in the forum I found out that the cheapest way to get to 10GB+ is infiniband. So, a couple questions: As PnoT...
  10. I

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to help out. I need some time to check the links you provided and also some of the keywords you mentioned. I'll be back :D
  11. I

Hi all, I’ve been exploring SMB 3.0 and RDMA and have a few simple questions that someone with relevant knowledge should answer (I believe) very easily. The goal is to set up two Hyper-V servers and a file server (all WS2012r2) with SMB 3.0 shares where my VHDXs will be stored. No clustering...
  12. I

LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i and Dell R415

True, that's what I intend to do! More work and more expenses but I'll also get SATA 3.0..... :)
  13. I

Thanks, and you're right except (maybe) the last part. I tried to use just one SATA drive with nothing else connected and it still runs at SATA 1.0 speeds. But, other than that SATA and SAS can be mixed, they do work (at least on the R415). But anyway, I won't be pursuing the interposer...
  14. I

Ok, got the tray and it's the wrong kind... It's too wide. That's ok, it was $20, so not much harm done. But I'm having a huge problem locating the right trays for these R415 servers that include interposers. Is this an odd config or people just didn't care for that when these were new?!?
  15. I

Sorry, I meant motherboards. I mainly use Supermicro motherboards and LSI RAID cards and Intel NICs. I have no experience with Supermicro addon cards.