Recent content by Harry P. Nyce

1. Harry P. Nyce

Updating the HGST HDD & SSD firmware

Mine are nearly identical, but have different branding, so unsure how this would potentially affect firmware. Product ID: HSVW800 Vendor: IBM-SSG Drive Firmware: B204
  2. Harry P. Nyce

Updating the HGST HDD & SSD firmware

Great post, I've wanted to update my drives forever -- have a pair of ibm branded HGST HUSMM1680ASS201 from 17JUN2016. Any luck @Donduke sir? Not sure if the firmware is different. Please advise.
  3. Harry P. Nyce

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

This is so painfully accurate, it kills me to have finally arrived at the same conclusion. After three or four years of deluding myself into thinking that Ubiquiti was just experiencing growing pains, it's become obvious that Robert Pera, the CEO, is so focused on these wild, fringe "innovative"...
  4. Harry P. Nyce

HOT HGST HUSMM8040's for $99, qty avail.

I'd be curious to know this, as well as I have had a difficult time even researching these specific variants. You can see that there are simply IBM stickers plastered on top of the original and they work and report full details under ESXi 6.5U1 in my Cisco UCS-C240-M3S, but if I'm finally going...
  5. Harry P. Nyce

Hý, i'm nýce.

Hý, i'm nýce.
  6. Harry P. Nyce

Price Drop! Server Cisco UCS C240-M3S servers, Dell Z9000, and other odds and ends

@rockitlikeithott did you ever get around to putting together a walk-thru of your experience? Haven't had a ton of time to truly dive into this wonderful server, but super curious about anything and everything related to this Cisco hardware... trying to justify adding a VIC and proper core...
  7. Harry P. Nyce

Smokin' deal on HGST HUSMM 400GB 12Gbps sas drives

Ended up grabbing a pair of similar drives last October listed as: HGST Hitachi 800Gb 2.5" SAS 12Gb eMLC SSD Hard Drive SSD1600MM - 12G - NEW PULL via heads-up from the fine folks here on the STH forums, i cannot thank you enough. Vendor accepted my offer of $590 for both drives, so i took a...
  8. Harry P. Nyce

Cabinets, Catalyst Switch

Would you sell the single hard drive tray and VIC out of the Cisco? I scored on one Craigslist and was missing those components. You may have better luck parting out the RAM and CPUs, but i've been super pleased with my C-series, i have almost an identical machine. This is on par with the...
  9. Harry P. Nyce

BestBuy-WD 8TB External-Limit 1 per order-$130

Would be very curious to find your results. Not really certain how to best go about adding more (cheap) 2.5" bulk storage to my LSI 9266-8i controller. Older used SAS drives seem most reasonable, however i've painted myself into a corner with the Cisco C-series rack mount server i acquired and...
  10. Harry P. Nyce

GPU Passthrough ESXi 6.5 - nVidia Quadro 2000

So i'm now roughly half a week into my second attempts at troubleshooting GPU passthrough. I've researched information on VMware's site, as well as this great thread: Troubleshooting GPU passthrough ESXi 6.5 Unfortunately, i just cannot seem to figure out where i'm going wrong and was...
  11. Harry P. Nyce

BestBuy-WD 8TB External-Limit 1 per order-$130

I grabbed a few of these over the late Spring / early Summer period @ $179 -- two were the glorious 256MB cache WD80EFAX WD Red drives, while the other was unfortunately a 128MB version. I shucked the two identical and continue to use the other as an external backup for my 8TB mirrored ReFS...
  12. Harry P. Nyce

HITACHI GLOBAL 800GB MLC SAS III 2.5 IN HUSMM1680ASS200 X2 - 375$ EACH OBO

These are FANTASTIC drives. I grabbed a pair of em (albeit with IBM stickers slapped on the top) from Fleabay a couple weeks ago @ $295/ea. Wish i could have justified getting four at that time. Ah well. Grats on the quick and easy sale.
  13. Harry P. Nyce

Update custom (Cisco) ESXi 6.5 image [Exception]

Apparently this is not possible (at least using the ISO) due to Cisco's custom image. Anyone have suggestions and/or workarounds for the two missing updates i'm trying to apply?
  14. Harry P. Nyce

ESXi 6.5 Brand New Install "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password"

Strangely enough i ran into this exact issue last evening. Ended up rebuilding my ESXi host to use a custom VMware Cisco image anyway, so never really did work around it. I was able to log into the console fine, but once i updated the password from within there, i fully locked myself out...
  15. Harry P. Nyce

Update custom (Cisco) ESXi 6.5 image [Exception]

Please help a neophyte attempting to learn a thing or two about a thing or two, by enabling me to update my ESXi 6.5 custom Cisco image with the latest two (2) patches. Current custom Cisco version: ESXi 6.5.0d (2017-04-18) 5310538 Need these two updates: ESXi 6.5 U1 Express Patch 4...