Recent content by handruin

1. H

Question about Samsung SM1715 1.6TB NVMe drive value

I may have the option to buy very lightly used Dell-branded Samsung 1.6TB NVMe (P/N MZWKI1T6HMHP - 000D3). These are pulls from R730's that I've worked with so I know these drives are barely used. These drives appear to be a Samsung SM1715 with the following stats: PCIe Gen 3 - NVMe 2.5"...
  2. H

ZLOG Benchmark is coming

That could be helpful, thanks! What might also be helpful for sanity testing is if there is more than one vendor of SSD to test with to see if the results differ like in the freeBSD code example. At home I have maybe two models, both from Samsung (850 pro and SV843) that I can test against but...
  3. H

ZLOG Benchmark is coming

I have an interest in this for ZoL as well. I'll see what I can dig up and find about porting this but time is a little tight right now for me also.
  4. H

Advice needed for Remote Control software

Would the Apache Guacamole client-less remote gateway software work for you?
  5. H

SOLD: Supermicro LGA2011 systems

Just wanted to give some feedback related to my purchasing of one of these systems from britinpdx. I'm very satisfied with how everything went with our transaction. Every question was answered in detail and in a timely manner. The system was packaged very well and survived traveling across...
  6. H

Advise on SuperMicro chassis for new storage server

This Supermciro 846E16-R1200B is the closest I could find with 24 bays and a SAS2 expander but the CPUs aren't really what I'm interested in.
  7. H

I appreciate the feedback. I'm definitely not finding any of the 24-bay CSE-846 with the BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane. I'm also not finding anyone selling the backplanes by themselves used. I can find new ones on Amazon but they're $550+ just for the part. I'll keep searching to see what I can...
  8. H

I'm building out a new storage server to be used primarily for personal backups and I've already procured the drives I wanted for this project. I'll be using 18 x 6TB HGST NAS (SATA) drives managed under Linux with ZFS. I was considering this SuperMicro CSE-847E16-R1K28LPB chassis that comes...
  9. H

Article: Best Open Source Software 2016

I hadn't heard of Rocket.chat until reading through this. Looks interesting when compared to Slack and Mattermost. I'll have to download it and give it a spin.
  10. H

Linux-Bench: Storage

Thanks for passing this along, that's good data. Makes me curious what tooling they use to collect the IO sizes in their systems. I'd like to do something similar for a couple of my own projects. I think it makes sense to make this flexible enough to allow for changing out the pattern if...
  11. H

Linux-Bench: Storage

I'd like to take a stab at this in my own repo but wanted some feedback on some ideas. OS: Linux Script will install required packages based on the distribution or maybe just pick one distribution for now and deploy it as a container of some kind? I can start with Ubuntu server 16.0.4.1 for...
  12. H

Newegg via Ebay: *Refurbished* SAMSUNG Data Center Series SV843 2.5" 960GB SSD

All four of mine arrived this morning in individually wrapped anti-static bags as if they looked new. They all visually looked new with no apparent marks, scratches, dust, etc. The power and SATA ports never looked like they had connectors on them. Three of the four had no indication of...
  13. H

I paid with Paypal...I didn't need a credit card for this purchase.
  14. H

Static storage or not you shouldn't be worried to pound on these drives with IO. Samsung specs theses SV843 drives as 3.6 WPD (28% O/P: 10.5 WPD) for 5 years. 3.45TB/day or 6.3PB over its lifetime....there's no way most of use even as advanced home lab users would even come close to this...
  15. H

I decided to jump on this and I'm in for four to put into my ESXi servers. I would have done the Intel drives if they were still available at $200 but I was late to that party.