Recent content by funkywizard

1. funkywizard

X10SRL-F bad RAM slot or defective CPU?

Probably the board. Traces are easy to scratch. You can try cleaning the ram slots with canned air but beyond that its a bad board.
  2. funkywizard

eBay - Intel Xeon E5-2680V4 - $168

Lol yeah. Those 6028R servers are great. For higher end configurations I usually can't use 1U Quanta so having a handful of the 6028R on hand makes it way easier to accommodate any possible dedicated server configuration a customer might want to order.
  3. funkywizard

eBay - Intel Xeon E5-2680V4 - $168

There are more 80v4 at $119 still. I bought all the $109 ones lol.
  4. funkywizard

E5-2696 V2 CPUs for $325!

A more reasonable conclusion is that the 2696 and 2697 is the same except that cpus with higher leakage current (and thereby higher power use) get sold as 2697 and the better cpus off the assembly line get sold as 2696 and are allowed to all-core-turbo a bit higher on account of their energy...
  5. funkywizard

[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

Seriously doubt that "Techdealz" on newegg has actually new drives at half of new drive pricing. Probably used.
  6. funkywizard

THE CHIA FARM

We've got a little less than 2PB mining still. Better than having the hardware sit idle. When customers want servers from us with 6tb or 8tb drives, we pull those from the Chia servers, which has reduced the size of our farm by about 50% so far. If you have idle hardware, mining is still ok, but...
  7. funkywizard

LSI RAID Controller and HBA Complete Listing Plus OEM Models

I expect if it gets any airflow at all it'll probably be fine.
  8. funkywizard

LSI RAID Controller and HBA Complete Listing Plus OEM Models

I don't see any good reason to use the 2308 vs 2008. I think we tried that at one point and had some OS / driver compatibility issues -- the 2008 is more universally compatible. The performance difference will be negligible. Now, sas3 vs sas2 is a different matter -- a system with 12+ hard...
  9. funkywizard

cheap / used server board with most PCIE lanes

Real pain in the ass though. Won't fit into a chassis of any kind. The one I have I mounted onto plexiglass and the plexi onto a rackmount shelf. The motherboard took up the -entire- width. Power supply has to be behind or in front of the motherboard, not to the side of it like any other...
  10. funkywizard

home server rack : how to mitigate the fire risk ?

If you're concerned about the fan failing, a simple solution is to get an additional fan.
  11. funkywizard

cheap / used server board with most PCIE lanes

How is that "crazy expensive"? You're trying to connect as many super expensive GPUs as possible. For the whole rig the motherboard would be what, 5% of the total cost at $300? Less? Server motherboards with a lot of lanes on them (say, 60 pcie lanes across 7 slots) also cost in that ballpark...
  12. funkywizard

Monero Mining Performance

Monero has changed a lot since then. Totally new algo.
  13. funkywizard

EXPIRED P3605: $209

Depends on the server / OS. We can usually boot from these but it's not slways free of problems.
  14. funkywizard

EXPIRED P3605: $209

I've bought hundreds of these, they're great. Use a static wrist strap when handling them. I've had a decent number fail during handling before taking this precaution, unlike normal SSDs which are less sensitive, this has exposed electronics.
  15. funkywizard

Microchip Adaptec 24G SAS Tri-Mode RAID and HBA Launch

Looking at similar Brocade adapters, 16i hba runs $700-800, and the raid card well over $1000. So if a pcie switch card runs 300 bucks yeah theres zero reason to use an hba or raid card for that function.