Recent content by FunkyRider83

1. F

Dual E5-2670 build in the smallest case NZXT S340

Yes wildpig1234 is correct. You'd better buy a PSU which gives you all the needed cable / plugs. Don't use the wrong type of plug (PCI-E <-> CPU) or you could seriously damage things or causing fire. The PSU I used is EVGA 750G2, which has 2 x 8-Pin CPU and 4 x 8-Pin PCI-E and is fully modular...
  2. F

Intel 2600CP SDR File Hacking

Sounds a bit dangerous to me. Better to lower the actual PWM in the fan curve than fooling motherboard RPM feedback, if somehow your server gets loaded 100% for prolonged time, you could easily damage the system by not providing sufficient airflow.
  3. F

I think one of the problems of using slow fans is they tend to trigger lower limit of RPM so the motherboard kicks in to panic mode and spin all fans to 100%. Try to rise the baseline PWM of the fans in BIOS. In my case, I have to set the base PWM value from 0 to +15 to make the fan run faster...
  4. F

In this case (no-pun-intended) you need to manually hack the sdr description script to include an additional fan header to your case model. Take a look at master.cfg file, which stores case-specific fan configurations, it takes a bit time and patience to learn which fan header corresponds to...
  5. F

Whenever you change fan configration, you have to re-run FRUSDR utility in EFI shell to detect / specify active fan headers. Inactive fan headers will not report RPM.
  6. F

I can only find the 2 Ethernet one now: Intel AXX2IOS I/O Shield for S2600CP2, S2400SC2, and S2400GP2 New Bulk Packaging I believe the 4 Ethernet one I bought has model name of AXX4IOS
  7. F

AFAIK Intel boards can only regulate fan speed using PWM so 3-PIN fans will always run at max speed.
  8. F

Dual E5 2670 workstation motherboard recommendation

I have just tested the geforce patch and it seems to work correctly. S2600CP4 with 2x E5-2670v1, GeForce GTX 670, Driver 347.88 with PCI-E 3.0 patch. When PCI-E 3.0 8x is enabled the bandwidth is twice of PCI-E 2.0 8x. I have also done some investigation of what the patch actually does, it...
  9. F

Well, that's kind of crappy. I'm sure I've seen the GPU-Z screen reporting that my card is running at PCI-E 3.0 many times. I will get some screen shot when I am home today. Now the question is, if GPU-Z says it's at PCI-E 3.0, does it really mean it?
  10. F

From the description on the patch download page, it seems that newer generation cards have got the timing issues sorted out so that they will enable PCI-E 3.0 support on X79 by default?
  11. F

Download and run a tool called GPU-Z under windows. It shows current PCI-E link speed. If it shows PCI-E 2.0 @ 1x, it means the cards is reducing link speed in idle to save power. There is a button beside the link speed label to run a small rendering window to ramp up the speed. Click that and...
  12. F

S2600CP supports S3 Sleep with latest BIOS, and operates PCI-E at 3.0 (nVidia card needs a driver patch from nVidia to enable PCI-E 3.0 on X79/C60x boards), also Sandy Bridge-EP is fully certified to run at PCI-E 3.0. I have used the S2600CP4 in my new-ish system for 5 months and it worked...
  13. F

It has at total 2x 2.5" and 3x3.5" bays. I am not a fan of running multiple mechanical disks in the system, as they add too much noise. Currently I have upgraded the disk system in this build to a Micron M500 480GB SSD and a WD Green 5TB HDD (5700RPM). Whenever I run out of storage space, I...
  14. F

I have modified the SDR file for my custom build. Here's my build post: Dual E5-2670 build in the smallest case NZXT S340 Here's some background information: The SDR file is quite complicated in a sense that there are a handful of sections you need to edit to be able to achieve controlling the...
  15. F

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Make sure to plug in both 8-pin EPS power connectors. If it still beeps, try to remove CPU2 and only use CPU1 then boot. If it still beeps, looks like you've got a dud motherboard.