Dual E5-2670 build in the smallest case NZXT S340

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
Perhaps wire grill for the (yet to be modded vent) rear fan? A black one. Fleabay link.

Suggest rotating the heatsinks 90 degrees to push the exhaust up. Yes, that sounds counter intuitive, but you avoid the downstream CPU getting the very short end of the stick. You will see the CPU temps even out.
Yeah I've got a handful of chrome wire-grill in the garage cooler collection, the problem with them is I won't be able to use rubber anti-vibration mount for the fan anymore. Will figure that out once I can get some time to mod the case.

For rotating the heatsinks, that is definitely worth a try. Currently the GPU lives at the bottom slot so there is large amount of empty space above it for airflow so it might actually work.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Really nice looking build, may end up doing something similar. Just picked up one of those gigabyte boards for my workstation.

JC Connell

Apr 17, 2016
I just ordered the Phanteks Enthoo Pro case for a nearly identical build (Intel S2600CP2). I was looking for a case with high storage density options. Will have 4x3.5'' drives and 2 SSDs to begin but I hope to add more in the future. How many more drives do you think you could fit in this case, if any?

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
It has at total 2x 2.5" and 3x3.5" bays. I am not a fan of running multiple mechanical disks in the system, as they add too much noise.

Currently I have upgraded the disk system in this build to a Micron M500 480GB SSD and a WD Green 5TB HDD (5700RPM). Whenever I run out of storage space, I will get rid of old HDD/SSD and upgrade to a larger capacity one.

lukegilson

Jun 8, 2016
Hey man where did you get that I/O shield. I'm in the midst of building one of these at the moment.

lukegilson

Jun 8, 2016
I have another question for you. My power supply only has one 8 pin for CPU, it has VGA 8 pins but they aren't the same from what I gather. How did you power both CPUs? Any adapters I need to buy or that you would recommend? Still haven't been able to boot my machine yet because of this.

Juan Carreras

Jul 13, 2016
Hey funkyrider, I'm building a very similar system with the same case and a Z9PA-D8 Asus MB. Did your MB had a USB 3 header for the blue 20 pin plug ?

ThomasTheHuman

Jul 27, 2016
Hi! I want to get S2600CP2, will it run with just 2 sticks of ram? I want to get only 16GB (2x8GB) and upgrade to 128 later.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I have another question for you. My power supply only has one 8 pin for CPU, it has VGA 8 pins but they aren't the same from what I gather. How did you power both CPUs? Any adapters I need to buy or that you would recommend? Still haven't been able to boot my machine yet because of this.
you cannot use the video power connectors as they are different from eps or cpu connectors. I would recommend getting another psu. like evga 750 or 850 b2. don't recommend getting an adaptor as you might not get the proper power needed. the s2600cp board needs to have both 8pin eps/cpu connector plugged in to boot even if you only have 1 cpu socket occupied.

Hey funkyrider, I'm building a very similar system with the same case and a Z9PA-D8 Asus MB. Did your MB had a USB 3 header for the blue 20 pin plug ?
These older MB, esp the server MB like the S2600cp2 do not have usb 3 support at all. You will need to get a usb 3 pic-e card.

if you really want native usb3.0 as well as native onboard sound, you need to get an HP820 or dell t7600 or lenovo d30. And i wouldn't recommend just getting the board for those oem workstation but the board, case and psu as there is a lot of proprietary parts esp with dell and hp.

Intel do have a workstation board if you really want it but it will cost you like almost $500. the format is customized huge 14.2x15in so it won't even fit inside an EEB case. But it has the same numbers of ram slots and also native usb 3.0 as well as 8(!) pci-e slots.

Intel® Workstation Board W2600CR2 Specifications

Hi! I want to get S2600CP2, will it run with just 2 sticks of ram? I want to get only 16GB (2x8GB) and upgrade to 128 later.
can't say for sure, but might be worth it to get more rams anyway. they are only $11-15 for each 8gb stick now anyway

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
Yes wildpig1234 is correct. You'd better buy a PSU which gives you all the needed cable / plugs. Don't use the wrong type of plug (PCI-E <-> CPU) or you could seriously damage things or causing fire.

The PSU I used is EVGA 750G2, which has 2 x 8-Pin CPU and 4 x 8-Pin PCI-E and is fully modular.

For USB 3.0 and sound, I used separate cards. Sound is Asus Sonar DX and USB 3.0 is just a generic NEC Renesas PCI-E 1x USB 3.0 card. When you are shopping for a card like this make sure it has internal USB 3.0 header and is in good quality. It's a bit of a hassle to hook up since both those cards need separate power input, floppy for the sound card and Molex for the USB, but after some careful cable routing it works just fine. I custom made the power for the USB card using only 2 wires to provide 5v and it easy to route 2 wires below the GPU.

And regarding to RAM sticks, yes the board will run with even a single stick of RAM with 2 CPUs, with the RAM populated in the first CPU (the one on the front side of the board). But you creates a serious bottleneck by running it this way. The lowest recommended RAM stick count when running 2 CPUs is 8 sticks, 4 for each CPU. You can use a single RAM to test if the system can boot up but that's about all it can (should) do. Come on those Reg-ECC 1333 sticks are so darn cheap there is no reason not to start with 8. I have loaded my machine with 8x8GB = 64GB ram and so far I can't even utilize half of it. If you don't plan to run dozens of VMs, 64GB would be all you ever need for the life of the machine. I had plan to upgrade to 128GB but I see absolute no need to do so now.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
And regarding to RAM sticks, yes the board will run with even a single stick of RAM with 2 CPUs, with the RAM populated in the first CPU (the one on the front side of the board).
Wow really? didn't know that it can do that. I thought the manual says you need to have direct ram access for each cpu so at least 2 sticks of ram with 2 cpu. but yeah, I wouldn't want anything less than 4 sticks for each cpu.

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
on the s2600cp, there are only 2 slots that are really designed for gfx cards and they are the two blue slots with the clip at the end. don't even bother to look at that full length x16 slot as 1) the ram slots are in the way and 2) it's doesn't even have enough wattage support.

Dave_B

Dec 7, 2016
Just built a small one myself around a Natex Intel S2600CP, dual E5-2670, 64 GB RAM package. The case is a Corsair Carbide 400C I picked up for $40 as an open box at my local Microcenter. I had to use some "ingenuity" to get the motherboard installed in the case since only 3 hole matched. But it's a nice looking compact case with a full window and good airflow. I'm currently waiting for my USB 3.0 PCI-e x1 card to arrive and am using a USB sound "card" for the time being. The setup is 100% stable, but noisy since the UpdateFRUSDR script hangs and I cannot profile the fan speed.

Used my trusty old Supermicro 665W server PSU I've used for X79 and X99 builds. The PCI-e x16 slot works fine with my mini EVGA GTX 1060 GPU and I can upgrade to a mini GTX 1070. It scores well with 3DMark11 so there is no issue with the slot. I'm using a pair of cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212s for cooling which keeps the CPUs at 55C under 100% load. Here's a lousy photo of the setup installed in the case followed by a naked photo of the case.

Reactions: hitek and gigatexal

Dave_B

Dec 7, 2016
Sine we're talking small Xeon builds, just for fun I'm adding this photo of my dual E5-2670 build next to my mini ITX E3-1230 V3 build. Here's the tale of the tape:

Dual E5-2670 Rig:
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670
Heatsink: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212s
Motherboard: Intel S2600CP4 C602 Server Motherboard SSI-EEB Form-Factor
RAM: 8x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1333 Registered ECC, 32GB total.
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Mini
Sound: USB Sound
Other: NEC Renesas USB 3.0 with internal header, PCI-E x1 Card
PSU: Supermicro PWS-665-PQ 665W
SSD: Kingston HyperX 240GB
Case: Corsair Carbide Clear 400C
Case Fan: 2x 120mm Corsair PWM (Came with case)

Single E3-1230 V3 Rig:
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3
Heatsink: Intel Retail
Motherboard: Asus H81I-Plus/CSM
RAM: 2x 4GB Crucial DDR3-1600, 8GB total.
GPU: MSI GT 730 2 GB GDDR5 Single-Slot, Low-Profile
Sound: Onboard Sound
PSU: SeaSonic SS350-SFE 350W SFX
SSD: Mushkin ECO3 240GB
Case: Spire PowerCube 501
Case Fan: Mini Fan

Here's they are "in the flesh" so to speak followed by a photo of the guts of the mini Xeon box. The mini fan at mounted with velcro at the top-rear of the case does a great job of pulling heat that formerly collected at the top of the case, which really heated up the CPU heatsink after 100% run. It's from an old Asus motherboard and was intended to blow air onto the VRM heatsink or RAM. Virually silent, you can feel the hot air stream out the back and I can no longer fry eggs on the top of the case. The only other answer would have been to drill a hole in the top and put a 60mm fan there. Now temps only get to the mid 50C range and it cools down pretty quickly after a "hot" run.

posted image

image hosting gif

Last edited: