Recent content by fp64

1. F

HP DL580 Gen 9: Choosing matching memory sticks

Hi, Bought a used DL580 g9 with 4x 8880 v4 and 16x 16GB ddr4 2133P cheap(ish). The attached photo shows one mem stick - the other match the stickers seen. These evidently are not HP branded but, on boot, the bios recognizes them as smart HP memory. How is this possible? With the above setup...
  2. F

Xeon E7 8894 v4 - what type of Memory for best performance (single core)?

Thanks. managed to skim thru the various manuals and it seems E7 has two memory controllers per chip. nice feature really. the cheapest 8894 seems to be about 600 euro on ebay.
  3. F

Xeon E7 8894 v4 - what type of Memory for best performance (single core)?

Hello, Revived this post because i am looking into buying a DL580 G9 with (probably) 4x E7-8880 as a gpu platform. Is it possible to condense the chat above to simple recommendations for max fp64 performance?
  4. F

Dell R730XD: CPU temps are different, seems to be a socket issue

Had same problem with HP ML350 G9. I made it worse by adding 3x MI50 and 1x MI60 with 1.1KW external psu. Solved it by using (mostly) duct tape. Applies to HP ML350 G9: 1) Install full complement of fans 2) Go to bios and change cooling from 'minimal' to 'adequate' ie one level up => noise 3)...
  5. F

HP ML350 G9 with 4 GPUs: Pci-e transfers slow

Embarrassingly obvious once u know it. Went thru the bios flipping switches that were likely to affect the pci speed. Finally, the power setting did the trick - from 'Custom' to 'Performance'.
  6. F

HP ML350 G9 with 4 GPUs: Pci-e transfers slow

Hi, The hardware manual for the HP ML350 G9 says that of the four x16 pcie slots, 3 are full 16-electrical an one 8. When 3 gpus (a mix of MI50 and MI60), are mounted on the 16-e slots, the pcie transfer rates are as advertised. When a fourth card is added to the 8-e slot (now 4 in total ) all...
  7. F

Power pins on a MI50

Cards mounted on a HP ML350 G9 - all (8) fans operational. during tests the temp never exceeds 54C (monitored thru rocm-smi). since radeon vii is intentionally crippled to half the fp64 rate, there should a doubling of the speed when this limitation is removed unless computations are...
  8. F

Power pins on a MI50

MI50: 250 euros each + 20 euro shipping from germany. bought one. dead loss. it is slightly slower than my surviving Radeon vii. 6.6 tflops fp64 are unattainable due to bandwidth limitation. similar story with MI60, bought one from the US supposed new. it is slightly faster than the said radeon...
  9. F

Power pins on a MI50

Thank you. found pin close-up for mi60 (scroll down a bit)...
  10. F

Power pins on a MI50

if all manufacturers assign the same function/voltage to each pin shape, then one can determine with confidence what type of power plug is used on a gpu. the question is, do all use the same standard? i am using gpus for linear algebra computations. virtualization is of no interest. double...
  11. F

SCAMMER on forum

2day i got this: -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello sir I do have one for sale in good shape Send me a mail if you are still looking to buy Cashyterry@yahoo.com Best regards --------------------------------------------------------------------------...
  12. F

Power pins on a MI50

Hello I have been offered two used amd mi50 but the (re)seller is not certain what type of power socket pins his cards have. Could be dell, hpe or standard atx pcie. How does one go about unambiguously identifying the type of power sockets? --
  13. F

SXM2 over PCIe

is this due to stadia fire sale?