Recent content by Falloutboy

1. F

HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini Installing WIFI (noob)

My Thought would be open the unit before buying the WiFi card to make sure the antenna connections are there, if they are sweet, if not "YATTN" "Yet Another Thing That's Needed" - I've been bitten by that phenomena twice by making assumptions, and the solution is literally two mins of work to...
  2. F

HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini Installing WIFI (noob)

If that system unit is the same as his here is a link to the module in question https://www.amazon.com/Intel-9560NGW-Wireless-AC-Bluetooth-G86C0007S810/dp/B084TPX75K My first thought though is does the case include the wireless antenna, I'd check that before doing anything.
  3. F

Mellanox Infiniband Problems

I don't believe the 5950x even with the latest chipset board will run the Video card and CX3 without you having to force the slots to x8 mode for both cards.
  4. F

Building & Wiring New House

I don't know if that pricing is fair or not, does it include labour?, Termination of the Jack points, Testing? Securing the cable to the studs inside the walls? Also while I know you are building are you at the pre lining or post lining stage? How much cable will be required both vertically and...
  5. F

10Gbit/s pci-e 4.0 x1 nic?

For a network card if it's x8 and you put it in a x1 or x4 slot it's not going to work anyway as far as I am aware unless that network card is x8 physically but only uses 4 lanes.
  6. F

But there are no PCIe4 x 1 cards and if you put a PCIe3x1 into a 4x1 it will operate at 3x1 not 4.
  7. F

Aquantia is no longer as far as I am aware, owned by Marvell. Melanox is now Nvidia and I was not aware they had an AQC on board any product afaik Mellanox is all custom IC. I also have not seen a mellanox offering in pcie 4 x 1 or less than pcie3 x 8 I think there might be a x4 mechanical but...
  8. F

100GbE small server to 3-4 workstation, no switch?

No it's not, RDMA AFAIK is a workstation skew only feature.
  9. F

Humbling.

No problems, try removing the GW on the mellanox cards. you will have no internet at that point on those nics but see if it resolves your lan speed issue. if it does might i suggest 1 lan of mellanox with no gateway for file xfers between pcs on one ip address with no gw and a sepeeate gigabit...
  10. F

Humbling.

If your mellanox cards which i presume are running at 10gb have a default gateway to your switch DNS they will be bottlenecked at the switch speed... note I don't know this equipment but this is my rampant guess, those GW requests are at 1Gb p/s i have no idea what an orbi is.
  11. F

EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

If you are running spinners in that beast I hope you have a bunker to put it in, a guy I spoke to in Auckland NZ had one and reckoned you could hear the noise clear as a bell through a besser block wall.
  12. F

EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Depending on where you are you could still use Paypal etc if you had a shipping forwarding service like YouShop, MyUS ( not recommended ) or many of the other myriad of freight forwarders ... If I remember rightly Ebay buyer protections gives you six months now.
  13. F

HGST SAS 6TB Internal 7200RPM 3.5" 12 GBPS $50 on Quantity 10

After my last run in with NETAPP gear I am a little cagey now, I previously brought 6 16Gb memory modules branded Netapp and while they work and have no errors they work differently from standard ECC ram in that they are from memory double write charge pumped which makes them run hot as hell. I...
  14. F

Patching Intel X520 EEPROM to unlock all SFP+ transceivers

A little more information would be useful... What are the specs for the two machines that these cards are running in.. Include Manufacturer/Motherboard Model/CPU and what slots are populated by what cards. OS Type, Version and skew. You are probably all over it but I like to know that all other...
  15. F

IP Controlled Rack PDU

I am looking for some cost effective rack mountable IP controlled PDU's, I would like to say if I had six power outlets connected to 1 mains socket be able to turn on or off individual plugs without having to futs to much, it would be good if it had the ability as well to mutually exclude a set...