Recent content by DrStein99

1. D

Power protection for many servers, I am lost - any advice?

I landed government auction for APC Smart-UPS units, from a school: SMT1500RM2U 1500VA LCD RM 2U DLA3000RM2U 3000VA Rackmount 2U There were like $35 each. Has anyone heard of them ? Ideally, I wanted just one big appliance to run the whole thing off that, but these seemed like I was...
  2. D

sms (or other) to transmit message to mobile device?

I am in the USA. I do not have Asterisk server up now, was planning to re-do one again to run sip phones in the house. But this what your saying sounds like I have to pay for sim service and buy more hardware. I was looking for a free software solution. I could just send an e-mail to my...
  3. D

How can I test if my data cabling, punch-downs & jacks are 100%?

Ok I think I got it. I have a LED cable tester which shows the basic connection of all the pairs have continuity. I have experience punching these down, its not my first time. I just wanted to expand my knowledge of other tools I was not using that could give me some more information. Ok...
  4. D

sms (or other) to transmit message to mobile device?

Is there a gateway or otherwise method for me to relay messages to my mobile device without paying for another monthly service contract (or charging me a per-message fee) ? I tried to search on my own using google-voice, but I could not find anything conclusive on the sms services API for that.
  5. D

How can I test if my data cabling, punch-downs & jacks are 100%?

I know when I run a cable, punch it down, crimp, and plug the two ends into this LED tester, the lights indicate that I have a good connection on each pair. Then, I plug into my switch & server / computer - and the link goes up 1gb, connect all good. Is it all good at that point ? I do not...
  6. D

Yes I am aware to not install battery backup line conditioning and / or generator on my air conditioning, cable tv, home stereo system, microwave oven, and hot tub. I will be using this for critical system purposes. Eventually I will run a generator in my shed so I can still play multi-player...
  7. D

Yes, all servers are Dell or HP with idrac and Ilo. (4) 130 watt processors each server plus the fans and whatever else is a space-heate. Takes dedicated 10k BTU a/c to keep up with them all. 648 watts reported by idrac, so if that is at 12 volts, 24 volts, or 110 - I am not sure yet. I will...
  8. D

I have 9 rack servers in the home lab, across (3) 15-amp breakers in a room with it's own air conditioner. So now the thunderstorms come in and lights flicker in house, and (2) servers just power off. So far I am lucky and have not discovered unusual malfunction. I started browsing around for...
  9. D

16-32gb ssd, good write speed $20 - 30 ?

Ok thanks for replies, this gets me somewhere. I bought a cheap SSD one time, and the write speed was so slow, I thought it was broke. I switched to buying only new ones from Newegg Samsung or HP where they actually list the model numbers and read/write statistics. When it comes to just a...
  10. D

16-32gb ssd, good write speed $20 - 30 ?

I would like to buy a small SATA SSD for boot drive on some machines, all I need is about 16gb. I found myself lost on eBay with so many brands I do not recognize. It looks like many of them have 25mb and less than 100mb write speed. Many more I was unable to look up the stats. I could not...
  11. D

Smoke-alarms / POE - text alerts, home automation

I started searching on my own. After 30 minutes and $125+ costs, I stopped and decided to ask here. I just figured there were enough handy people that would have done this already. I will probably end up just hot-wiring power source on $9 walmart smoke detector, tap off the alarm line - into...
  12. D

I was not planning to write firmware and build a smoke detector from scratch, and fabricate my own sensors. I was just looking for something that was available or close to being able to integrate that with my own custom automated system.
  13. D

Does anyone here have experience with the wired-power smoke alarms? My brother in-law has them at his house, but they look like just low-voltage wires connecting to rechargeable smoke alarm device. I want to take mine a step farther. I would like to replace my smoke detectors with POE /...
  14. D

Ubuntu 16.04 server - static ip address and new surprise DHCP address ? Why ?

I have 2 ip addresses on my interface: $ ifconfig eno1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr d4:ae:52:70:0f:b9 inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::d6ae:52ff:fe70:fb9/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500...
  15. D

Who knows HP pro-curve switches? 1GB

Is "J9021A" the model ? Is "2510g" the series? I do not know. I am confused. If I do not do my research before I buy this, I wind up getting the whammy-model, instead of the technician's model or whichever one has options to mirror, monitor, track, log, block, permit, and whatever else. I...