Recent content by DrStein99

1. DrStein99

Please help me select an NVME ssd for main workstation, 512gb

I could read reviews all day all month, there are so many. I get overwhelmed, made a decision just to get this project moving. Yes probably better ones, faster. This one is like 20 or 50 times faster than the sata SSD raid array I have now. If I could just get it to boot into windows, I will...
  2. DrStein99

Clover boot help: Booting to NVME Windows 10, on machine with old BIOS

My workstation bios on Dell Precision T7600 is too old to boot to NVME ssd, which I have on a PCIE card, in a x4 slot. I cloned image copied the windows 10 partitions from existing drive to the NVME drive, using Macarium. Clover bootstrap seems to be my only option to get to boot this...
  3. DrStein99

d-link wifi routers are crap, please help me choose access point

I will buy a second hand used piece, to test and make sure it works. As I become confident I wont discover deal-breaking problems, I would upgrade if I needed it. I have absolutely no use for WIFI 6 now and do not expect to use it within the next whole year. My high speed stuff runs over...
  4. DrStein99

That looks good, I forgot about the POE part - I have an active POE switch. Be happy to NOT need power cables to the devices.
  5. DrStein99

Thank you. I appreciate learning stuff and prefer the big boy hardware. The consumer dlink thing was cheap lunch money, never thought they would be that pathetic. I'll look into EWS. Wifi 6? I do not own anything above 5ghz (yet), or have a need to. House is laced with 1gb Ethernet jacks.
  6. DrStein99

I fear a drive in my existing striped ssd array may fail at any time, get pressured to replace. I have nightly incremental image backups on it. Got impatient trying to decide, put some faith in the Western Digital name. I saw it performed well. If were disappointed, my bank won't get hurt...
  7. DrStein99

I settled for a Western Digital WD BLACK SN770. From newegg (because I did not want to buy a swapped-out used one with a fake re-sealed factory package from eBay, like what happened to me the last time). I bought a pciE nvme M2 card adapter, since my mainboard is not modern enough to have that...
  8. DrStein99

I went through 2 d-link devices and have decided I will not buy one again. The first one had problems like not syncing the ntp system time, disconnecting, random shut down forcing a reboot. I gave up on it, then tried to load open-WRT, which was kind of fun until I think something went haywire...
  9. DrStein99

I have a main workstation for developing software, and other cache/processor intense. I am now using 3 striped SATA ssd's, and believe one of them is about to fail, after 4-6 years of use. I will retire the 3 drives, and am looking to replace with a single SSD. I choose the NVME type, since I...
  10. DrStein99

Forward a port / route traffic from a remote VPN to local network

I am looking to forward a port and route HTTP traffic from my external VPN (10.8.0.x) to a server on my local network (192.168.1.x). A pfSense firewall setup local as a openVPN client , which connects to a remote openVPN server on a virtual machine in a hosting provider, with a basic command...
  11. DrStein99

Raid controller for SATA SSD's on workstation. Which one has the FASTEST bios boot up?

My main workstation takes too long to boot up. I want to shed time off it. I have a dell PERC-H (something I have to reboot to remember what it is). It's a SAS controller I pulled from a server. It probably does not belong. It takes FOREVER to wait at the prompt before the rest of my system...
  12. DrStein99

Wifi access point advice

Yes. I plan to do that through my firewall router. I believe the firewall needs dedicated ethernet ports for each access point. I keep getting stuck when I change wifi router to "AP MODE", then being able to console into it to do a management interface so I can test between that and my...
  13. DrStein99

Wifi access point advice

I am beginning to use these WIFI switches, relays, and other devices in home. I use a Sophos UTM for the firewall / router. Currently using a Netgear WNDR4500 for WIFI. I believe I should probably have WIFI access points through the house, instead of just one unit. The lady decides to dust...
  14. DrStein99

Freenas advise please: RAID array ? vdev ? what are my options ?

I have 450gb sas 10k rpm drives. (5) in the array + (1) hot spare. I will be adding (2) drives to the array, give me (7) total with (1) hot spare. raidz2 ? I will read about this thank you.
  15. DrStein99

Freenas advise please: RAID array ? vdev ? what are my options ?

I have a NAS (freenas) server, bank of 6 drives in a raid-5 array. I have to expand the size of the array. In order to do that, I have to offload the data - then break the array to add drives to it, then copy the data back. Not a big deal of course, just somewhat inconvenient. I do not know...