Recent content by DonJon

1. D

Natex Deals for STH Members

Natex and their generous 5% discounts for STH members is the greatest scam in computing history. sigh
  2. D

Lenovo SA120 rear SATA drives

LSI is Avago now and nothing else has changed except for the company name. You can get CacheCade 2.0 Pro (earlier non Pro or 1.0 versions does not support write caching) hardware keys for cheap for 9260-8i or 9280-4i4e (9280-8e does not use h/w key). Note some of the cards take software keys...
  3. D

Ok. that's what I thought. Whereas you should be seeing those numbers for a single drive when negotiated at 6Gbps. That's the problem with this cage and the reason why I should abandon it.
  4. D

I bet it will be the same (3Gbps) for any SSD you put on it. Are those results for a single drive or for the stripe? I'm thinking its the speed for the stripe? How many drives in the RAID?
  5. D

Bulk Optimize Media for Plex Direct Play

There is a simple setting in Plex that sets the bit rate for internet streamed content and streamed content to the LAN users. Have you checked it? You can set like 720p 1Mbps for internet stream and 1080p 20Mbps for LAN.
  6. D

Faster and fewer cores or Slower clocks and tons of cores for video editing?

More than any Processor, Memory, Graphics Card, configuring the video editing program to take advantage of the hardware is more important. Lot of them just install the software and expect magic to happen and don't care about advanced configurations that enable hardware acceleration like CUDA...
  7. D

Self-driving cars: July 2016 STH discussion

Uber is developing their own autonomous car/fleet/taxis (in the dens) with a pool of engineers from Carnegie Melon (the forerunner of this technology). CM's self driving cadillac looks like a normal car, not like Google's TV Station Wagon. BTW Google got its talents from CM too.
  8. D

Actually for verifying, install Megaraid Storage Manager and select the drive in MSM, its properties will show 3Gbps. That will confirm what speeds the disks are negotiated. And then any kind of disk benchmark (ATTO or CrystalDisk) will show 3Gbps speeds max. When I had the cage with me I ran...
  9. D

Ha now its back again at $95. Stop buying them at that price and bet ya it will be back to $75. Funny.
  10. D

Just go with any 2.5" caddy for Lenovo (RD440, RD450 etc) in eBay. They fit.
  11. D

It does not.
  12. D

Stop buying them and the price will be back to $75.
  13. D

There was no deal at $75. They were priced at $75 for ages. Someone is watching this forum and that triggered the price change I would say. Yes I have tried them long ago bought for $75 and had to abandon since any SSD I put in them also using multiple RAID adapters would negotiate only at...
  14. D

Those drive cages come with SATA interposers. And if you are trying to use SATA 3 SSDs on it, they get negotiated at 3Gbps and not at 6Gbps. So I went back in using the SSD adapters for the trays in the front drive bays to get full speed.
  15. D

M.2 PCIe SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4 and M.2 SATA SSD to SATA III Adapter Card

I have one of those cards from the same seller but I bought it from amazon for around $18. I wanted quick and I bought it with amazon prime. They worked really very well. It came with low profile bracket that I needed and a few other accessories. And then I ordered one from a Chinese seller...