Recent content by dexvx

1. D

WTB 2x xeon 8280 QS or oem/retail

Curious, what would be a reasonable price?
  2. D

Scam Alert ... E5-2667 v4 (Pair)

There is already heatware that exists in terms of trading reputation. Taking the time and effort to implement a STH specific solution doesn't seem optimal when you could more or less ask Heatware for participation.
  3. D

Migrate arrays from LSI 9280 to LSI 9271?

Late update, but update nevertheless. After I successfully migrated all my stuff to 8TB WD drives, I had a bunch of 4TB leftovers to play around with. I installed a 9460-16i (actually Intel branded), and used the LSA software to import the Foreign Configuration successfully. Since most of it...
  4. D

Suggestions for Asus X99WS IPMI Channel A DIMM doesn't detect properly

I bought an Asus X99-WS IPMI off eBay. It seems to be working great except for one issue... Channel A DIMM doesn't detect properly. From the SPD diagnostics, it would seem that the board knows that a DIMM is there, but it seems to be unusable. Not working (A1): Imgur Working (B1): Imgur Tried...
  5. D

My Asus X99WS/IPMI order got delayed, so haven't been able to try it out. So I'm assuming based on your statement that the way most storage arrays are migrated is totally replacing the whole array. Which, although is quite feasible for corporations, may be more difficult for prosumers. Oh...
  6. D

Well that's disturbing. When the import failed on the new card, did you try attaching the array with your older card? Fortunately, I do have an older array (8x 4TB RAID6) that I can attempt an import on.
  7. D

Does SAS cable brand matter?

Ended up purchasing 2x 60cm breakout (with sideband) cables from Supermicro. Although TBH, not really sure how sideband cable works with a RAID card. Cost was $12/cable + $10 shipped = ~$32. I have a higher level of trust with Supermicro.
  8. D

On a similar vein, is it possible to move from older controllers to newer? I have an aging 9260-8i and would like to replace it with a newer 9460-8i.
  9. D

Does SAS cable brand matter?

Need some new SAS-8643 breakout cables, and I've never given any real thought to branding, so I thought to ask here. Looking on eBay, Newegg/Amazon, you have the following selection (shipped prices for 0.5-0.75m): Coboc , $11 eBay generic, $13-15 Cable Matters, $18 iStarUSA, $21 Areca, $45...
  10. D

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

The EPYCD8 Epyc board is only about $100 more expensive than the X470D4U, but then you'd have to deal with the super low quantity and selection of Epyc CPU's. I wonder how a Broadwell Xeon E5 compares against an Epyc.
  11. D

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

The main issue right now is the price of DDR4 UDIMM/ECC. I'm going back and forth between the X470D4 or an used Asus X99WS/IPMI. The fact the latter takes DDR4 RDIMM/ECC tremendously helps the price, especially as you scale up in memory.
  12. D

Small chassis with official SSI EEB support?

Wow, did not realize the H500 worked well. I actually bought two for 9900K workstations. I thought it was small because it barely fit a Maximus XI Formula with the annoying vertical bar. Although one annoying thing I see now is that the 24pin ATX connector is in top, cabling is a little...
  13. D

Small chassis with official SSI EEB support?

A lot of SSI-EEB workstation chassis have a bunch of 3.5" and even 5.25" bays, which are useless for my needs. Was wondering if there was any SSI-EEB chassis in a small form factor (<40L). This Rosewill case isn't made anymore, and GN has the build quality is 'disappointing'...
  14. D

WTB: 8GB FB-DIMM, S604/771 Heatsink/Fan, Old Workstation Boards

Looking for: * 8GB FB-DIMM PC2-5300F sticks * Intel reference Socket 604/771 Heatsink/Fan or similar heatsink/fan that can mount a standard case fan. * Older dual Xeon/Opteron workstation boards. I define workstation boards as either having an AGP slot or at least 2x PCI-Express 16x slots for...
  15. D

I am considering making a small (20L) SSI EEB capable tower case

Are there any existing small-ish (mid-tower ATX) cases that officially support SSI EEB? I have some SSI EEB workstation motherboards that need homes (I don't need any 3.5" or 5.25" drive bays). The closest thing I found was the NZXT S340, but they require adding new screw mounts.