Does SAS cable brand matter?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dexvx

Mar 6, 2014
Need some new SAS-8643 breakout cables, and I've never given any real thought to branding, so I thought to ask here.

Looking on eBay, Newegg/Amazon, you have the following selection (shipped prices for 0.5-0.75m):

Coboc , $11
eBay generic, $13-15
Cable Matters, $18
iStarUSA, $21
Areca, $45

Was leaning towards Cable Matters, because that's what we tend to use in the labs. Thoughts?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
it's not so much the "brand" as how they are actually wired that matters. the part that usually causes a problem are the sideband wires. because sideband use is optional, some cables don't wire it (to save a few bucks?). on systems that use the sideband, this could cause an error. I think "Cable Matters" is one of the brands that some times have this problem.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I had a variation of Adaptec/Microsemi and Supermicro cables.
I like the supermicro ones becuase they are very flexible and not as sturdy as the adaptec cables. With the adaptec cables I always had that feel that I would rip the sff cages of the hba/raid controller or the backplanes.

dexvx

Mar 6, 2014
Ended up purchasing 2x 60cm breakout (with sideband) cables from Supermicro. Although TBH, not really sure how sideband cable works with a RAID card.

Cost was $12/cable + $10 shipped = ~$32. I have a higher level of trust with Supermicro.