Recent content by Deslok

1. Deslok

Introducing Project TinyMiniMicro Home Lab Revolution

If you have access to a 3d printer you could make a new lid and add something like this for it www.amazon.com/Mini-Express-Extension-Adapter-Riser/dp/B01FVPITN8/
  2. Deslok

There are cheaper ones in the ~20 dollar range www.amazon.com/Crest-Interface-Gigabit-Ethernet-Modules/dp/B07DTK7ZZJ/ however the first ones I linked are designed to fit in some of these mini pc's limiting fabrication requirements. There's also usb adapters between 20 and 50 usd depending if you...
  3. Deslok

@Patrick I saw a few m.2 gigabit network adapters when someone asked something similar on the main post, have you, or has anyone you know tried such a thing to add a second nic? https://www.transition.com/lines/network-adapters/databus/m2/ These in particular seem focused on the optiplex tiny...
  4. Deslok

WD Red Plus Launched with CMR

Those will be smr next year
  5. Deslok

WD Red Plus Launched with CMR

What I still fail to figure out, is where the huge advantage for SMR drives is at this point. Assuming the 1.5 capacity increase SMR was supposed to offer we should be seeing 24TB(the largest drive on newegg today is a 16tb nas drive) drives not these 1-4tb capacites(that are just as if not more...
  6. Deslok

MikroTik CRS317-1G-16S+RM Review A 16-Port 10GbE Switch

Hey I've got two of those(one at work one at home) and love them, can't wait to see the review
  7. Deslok

MikroTik CRS354-48G-4S+2Q+RM Review A Reset for this Class of Switch

Mikrotik(and several other vendors) do offer 10GbaseT SFP+ adapters, they're not cheap when considering 12(a second 10GbaseT switch would be a better option money wise) but they are effective. (at 40 per adapter which I paid for an ipolex module you're looking at 480 USD approaching the price of...
  8. Deslok

WD Red DM-SMR Update 3 Vendors Bail and WD Knew of ZFS Issues

Has anyone seen any testing of these in msft storage spaces? I don't personally deploy drives that small but i'd be curious to see how they behave there as well.
  9. Deslok

Mikrotik CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS (12x sfp+, 2x sfp28) router msrp 595$

I'm fairly excited to see this if for no other reason than it means we're going to see a revamp of the CCR 1xxx lineup soon(well, over the next year or two) I just setup a CCR1009 for a small office and it was fantastic. I'm a little suprised to see SFP28 ports on this when they've been so...
  10. Deslok

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

That depends on the switch, at minimum it won't report properly in most cases.
  11. Deslok

Intel NUC9VXQNX Review an 8 Core Xeon and GPU Capable NUC Option

Here we go, I knew someone had to have a shipping C246 board SPCIE-C246 full size single board computer
  12. Deslok

Actually, I forgot PICMIG 1.3 yesterday when I made that post(the system I have is 1.0 so isa+pci) It covers PCI express with 20 lanes as the design goal PICMG 1.3 - Wikipedia Here's an example board, it's an older design so it's only C226(industrial gear moves slow) SPCIE-C2260-i2 PICMG 1.3...
  13. Deslok

I don't think the history goes back quite far enough, I have a pentium 3 on a card with ISA and PCI (it's one of advantechs PCA series boards) but the whole design goes back further than that. I'm honestly disappointed we don't see it applied to more modern servers it would make a great...
  14. Deslok

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus Ultimate Customization Guide

I know you threw diskshelves out as an option but what about units like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YQHWYW/ref=emc_b_5_t I've seen them in 4 and 8 drive options and the cost is minor compared to that many drives(and makes cabling much easier) Sidenote, a rear usb 3.2 10gig would make...
  15. Deslok

GPU Rackmount Chassis Suggestions?

1x risers are only good for mining due to the way it works, 16x risers are full bandwith though and can be used for general purpose tasks.