Recent content by Dan Langille

1. D

R720 connector documentation wrong?

Do you have a part number for the caddy please?
  2. D

Lately, I've been using these PCI cards which do not require data or power cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08111FRVR CY DOCK 2.5” SATA SSD/HDD to PCIe 2.0 x1 Hot-Swap Mobile Rack for PCIe Expansion Slots | ToughArmor MB839SP-B
  3. D

Dell R730 - how to use internal boot drives?

That no-bifurification ain't cheap.
  4. D

In my case, software RAID is what I'll be using via a ZFS mirror.
  5. D

Thank you for confirming that.
  6. D

I have a Dell R730 (not the XD) and my goal is to boot off internal drives, leaving the front 2.5" bays free for data. In the past, with an R720, I did this with PCIe hot swap cards. I realize now, that I should have opened up the chassis and checked for possible power and data connections...
  7. D

Do you attach gear to a sheet of plywood in the basement?

Mounting electrical panels to plywood is standard practice. It's not novel or unusual at all. An example I stumbled across today.
  8. D

Hence, the fire-resistant plywood. This meets code. The electrical panel itself is metal.
  9. D

Hence, the fire-resistant plywood. This meets code.
  10. D

Do you attach gear to a sheet of plywood in the basement? About 15 years ago, in another city, I had a small sheet of plywood attached to the wall of the basement. It held the DSL modem, the network switch, and other small component related to my home network. Fast forward: I've just bought a...
  11. D

Guide: Flashing H310/H710/H810 Mini & full size to IT Mode

For the 710 mini, I did this for my R720: Dell R720 flashing Dell PERC H710 mini into IT mode – Dan Langille's Other Diary It follows the instructions from Introduction - Fohdeesha Docs
  12. D

Guide: Flashing H310/H710/H810 Mini & full size to IT Mode

I am late to the game. I flashed the H710 mini in my R720 yesterday and I will be using 4x 1TB 860 EVOs in that server. They should be just fine. I am using Samsung SSD 850 3B6Q (that's the PRO) with a SAS2308 - works well.
  13. D

I have another R720 which will undergo the same modifications. The one bit of information to put out there: The SATA power cable to the CDROM is split. The spare power connector it not clearly visible. It is under the shelf upon which the CD-ROM sits. From the photo below: power - the end...
  14. D

Success. The first drive was added in last week: Installing internal PCI Slot SSD drive enclosures in a Dell R720 – Dan Langille's Other Diary The second drive went in today, but not without me accidentally removing the boot drive first: Dan Langille on Twitter Thanks all for the help.