Do you attach gear to a sheet of plywood in the basement?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dan Langille

Jun 29, 2015
Do you attach gear to a sheet of plywood in the basement? About 15 years ago, in another city, I had a small sheet of plywood attached to the wall of the basement. It held the DSL modem, the network switch, and other small component related to my home network.

Fast forward: I've just bought a house and will be getting some wiring redone (it's an old house). As part of that rewire, the 200A electrical panel will be moved from the wall to a sheet of 3/4" fire-resistant plywood (I'll call that the panel). Also going onto this panel are:

• internet connection (e.g. Verizon FiOS box)
  • battery charging station
  • always-charging, auto-on flashlight for power failures or the odd breaker re-set
  • some network components not in the rack
FYI, my panel will not be directed attached to the wall, which is a field stone foundation, but will be supported from the joists by some SuperStrut beams. I decided not to mount anything like this to the wall because of moisture problems.

What do you have on your panel?

EDIT 2023-02-06: Adding photos:

* The short album
* more details in this album

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Yeah I just don't get this craze of mounting all your gear to a board, I guess it looks neater but makes it a total pain to make changes to the network. I must be old. Fire resistant ply is fine until you mount a lot of combustible plastic and fiberglass PCBs to it.