Recent content by chriscambridge

1. chriscambridge

3u chinese server cases

Nope, far too much effort. The amount was not actually that much, so in the end it taught me an important lesson without too much cost.
  2. chriscambridge

3u chinese server cases

I just wanted to share my experience of Aliexpress; it is great for finding products at low prices, but if you have issues and have to return the product, or get refunds, or get Aliexpress staff involved to uphold normal selling practices then it can be somewhat of a minefield. In terms of the...
  3. chriscambridge

3u chinese server cases

I used to use Aliexpress, but when a load of fans turned up all smashed and broken, and the seller offered me a 5% refund, and Aliexpress agreed I stopped using them. I mentioned that I had paid for postage, and therefore under normally selling guarantees, the seller should pay for return...
  4. chriscambridge

Gigabyte HPC Server cooling question?

Oh that does make doing a review kind of difficult :eek: Thanks for the heads up on the DELL (and Inspur) 4U GPU servers; I wasn't actually aware of them. Its actually quite interesting to see how all the different players approach the 4U 8-10 GPU server approach; and from what I see only...
  5. chriscambridge

Thanks that's really useful; I hadn't realized just how much air these Gigabyte midplane fans pull in. I did wonder about that server you reviewed (G481-s80) as it seems to have a very similar chassis to this and another Gigabyte server (G482-Z51). What made me think twice though is the server...
  6. chriscambridge

(I edited my previous reply) I think I have solved this now.. A quick search on that heatsink part number brings up the fact that it is also used on the Gigabyte W291-Z00. https://www.servethehome.com/gigabyte-w291-z00-review-amd-epyc-gpu-server/ A quick search for images of that Tower...
  7. chriscambridge

There are also 4 fans on the back of the chassis. Basically all the fans are pumping air into or extracing out of, the 10 GPUs. I think the way this server may work (in terms of CPU cooling) is by using either 4U active (fan based) heatsinks, or flat/horizontal active (fan based) heatsinks; I...
  8. chriscambridge

There are no fans behind the heatsinks eg the fan wall is in front of the CPUs, not behind it. This is what I meant when I mentioned "excluding heat sinks"; obviously like you say passive heat sinks need air flow.
  9. chriscambridge

Gigabyte G482-Z50 Does anyone know, or could find out (as I think this server is pre-release), exactly how the following Gigabyte HPC server cools its CPUs? (excluding heat sinks) As you can see there are no front chassis fans, only fans behind the GPUs and at the back of the Chassis; hence my...
  10. chriscambridge

Anyone know diff between E5-2699-V4 and E5-2699C-V4 ?

Thanks; I agree the C version is rubbish.. however the E5-2699P-V4 version looks pretty nice. 3 GHz Base, 3.6 GHz Turbo Especially if you compare that to the normal 99V4.
  11. chriscambridge

Thanks for your reply and sharing this, its not coming up in Google when I do a search so that is very useful. So am I right in thinking that when the Turbo is listed (for the 99) as: 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6/ 6/6/6/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/ 14/14 It means: It will run 22 cores Turbo at, base freq (2.2)...
  12. chriscambridge

So I just spoke to a seller of these and he indicated that these are non-retail OEM E5-2699V4's that were produced for Sun Microsystems, hence why there is not information being listed about them.
  13. chriscambridge

SOLD: 1U vented blank rack panels

No I understand, no worries; hope you get them shifted (sold) shortly.
  14. chriscambridge

SOLD: 1U vented blank rack panels

I would have been interested as I am going to be buying some of these soon, however I am based in the UK so It doesnt really make sense financially as I can buy them for around $10 (£7) each over here. I was hoping maybe you had quite a few so I could try to offset the shipping cost.
  15. chriscambridge

Correct DDR4 RAM Speed for E5-2696V4 OEM?

Just found this thread, temps were all good on the Arctic, running at around 55c