3u chinese server cases

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Anyone tried these before?

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

I'm looking for cheap server case and because of the shipment to my country, the ones from china seems to be a better option.
Particulary concerned about the airflow, i was going to look for 4u with short depth (so that i can use my older atx psu), but 3u apparently will do.

Also, this is my first time using server cases, any possible issues if i mix different brands on a rack?

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
The cost of the case is excellent. Depending on what country you are shipping that to the shipping price may make it not such a good deal. eg. shipping to the US is $95.79. In this example I would go with a used Supermicro chassis off Ebay.

If you are talking about mixing cases in the rack you are not going to have any issues.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Yeah, even with shipment + tax, most of the time buying from china is still cheaper than ebay for me.
But i'm aware big name brands has better QC than these,
SM chassis also don't support ATX psu, i'd rather get the ones that support it cause have several ATX psu laying around.

What I'm looking for its a minimalist server case actually,
it's just gonna be for my x11-sca-f + raid card which will be a host for my HGST 4u60
Most 4U is a little too heavy, so i prefer 2U/3U with short depth,
but i read some 2U that supports ATX psu has bad airflow, so 3U is probably better but they're kinda hard to find

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
Yeah, even with shipment + tax, most of the time buying from china is still cheaper than ebay for me.
But i'm aware big name brands has better QC than these,
SM chassis also don't support ATX psu, i'd rather get the ones that support it cause have several ATX psu laying around.

What I'm looking for its a minimalist server case actually,
it's just gonna be for my x11-sca-f + raid card which will be a host for my HGST 4u60
Most 4U is a little too heavy, so i prefer 2U/3U with short depth,
but i read some 2U that supports ATX psu has bad airflow, so 3U is probably better but they're kinda hard to find
I would not say that 2U has bad airflow. It would depend on the case, what components are inside it, and if there are any obstructions inside the case.

Whatever case you have you want direct airflow passing over your hard drives, NVMe drives, CPU, graphic card(s), and 10Gb network cards.

If you use the case you linked. I would add a fan either in front or behind the hard drive bay to pull/push air. In a 2U or 3U form factor I do not believe it would make any cooling difference. Where you would have a difference is the noise level. A 3U case can support a 120mm fan, a 2U case supports 80mm, so your 3U can both move more air or move equal volume of air at a lower dB.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
I would not say that 2U has bad airflow. It would depend on the case, what components are inside it, and if there are any obstructions inside the case.

Whatever case you have you want direct airflow passing over your hard drives, NVMe drives, CPU, graphic card(s), and 10Gb network cards.

If you use the case you linked. I would add a fan either in front or behind the hard drive bay to pull/push air. In a 2U or 3U form factor I do not believe it would make any cooling difference. Where you would have a difference is the noise level. A 3U case can support a 120mm fan, a 2U case supports 80mm, so your 3U can both move more air or move equal volume of air at a lower dB.
Sorry shouldve been more specific, I was talking about using 2U cases with full atx power supply, because server psu is less common than desktop psu here

Rosewill RSV-Z2600: A Decent, Low-Cost 2U Server Chassis Review - Phoronix

Most 2u case like this can use full atx psu, but the psu air path is covered,
3u case like the one i mentioned has room for better airflow.
The SM case you mention cannot use atx psu too..

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
What is a server case for you? A rackmount case/chassis?
Why not buy a tower case to use with the atx psus?

Supermicro 743 chassis can use atx psus.
Because i already own a HGSt 4u60, and i'm looking for group it together with my other 3 servers to simplify UPS and network allocation, right now its kinda messy..

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Just wanted to say there are ppl who have shown that ATX PSU can be used at least with SM 846, but that's 4U. Just in case you might consider 4U.
(I am going to give an atttempt with my 846s next month or so)

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Just wanted to say there are ppl who have shown that ATX PSU can be used at least with SM 846, but that's 4U. Just in case you might consider 4U.
(I am going to give an atttempt with my 846s next month or so)
4u is too heavy and too big for my need.
It takes 2 person to take out the server and it's impractical if something goes wrong and i have to take it out..

After some googling i think i'm tackling this issue the wrong way, i'm gonna look for a rack that fits HGST 4u60 first and then racking the rest of my servers.

Problem is HGST 4u60's rails is way too expensive, anyone knows a universal sliding rails that also works?

Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
I used to use Aliexpress, but when a load of fans turned up all smashed and broken, and the seller offered me a 5% refund, and Aliexpress agreed I stopped using them.

I mentioned that I had paid for postage, and therefore under normally selling guarantees, the seller should pay for return postage and then issue a full refund.

I also provided photos of the partly opened package which showed the damaged fans (and proved that I had not actually even fully opened the package).

However Aliexpress disagreed and said I should cover full return and tracked postage to China (which would have cost more than the actual products).

Personally I think its better to request to the seller to list their products on Ebay/Amazon (which many are now), as that way you get the Seller guarantee. EG: if you pay for postage, and the product arrives damaged/mis-sold, then its down to the seller to cover return postage.

Reactions: denywinarto

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
I used to use Aliexpress, but when a load of fans turned up all smashed and broken, and the seller offered me a 5% refund, and Aliexpress agreed I stopped using them.

I mentioned that I had paid for postage, and therefore under normally selling guarantees, the seller should pay for return postage and then issue a full refund.

I also provided photos of the partly opened package which showed the damaged fans (and proved that I had not actually even fully opened the package).

However Aliexpress disagreed and said I should cover full return and tracked postage to China (which would have cost more than the actual products).

Personally I think its better to request to the seller to list their products on Ebay/Amazon (which many are now), as that way you get the Seller guarantee. EG: if you pay for postage, and the product arrives damaged/mis-sold, then its down to the seller to cover return postage.
That's awful, i personally never had to return anything yet from aliexpress.
But yes for your case i think 5% refund is not a fair solution, i think it'd be better if you ask the seller to replace the fans no? Its better than paying for the expensive return cost for such a large item.
What about the dimensions of the case? Did you have any issue fitting in the motherboard?
I'm more concerned if it has innacurate dimensions or mounting holes

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
But yes for your case i think 5% refund is not a fair solution, i think it'd be better if you ask the seller to replace the fans no? Its better than paying for the expensive return cost for such a large item.
A lot of dishonest sellers will send you an already broken item, or the wrong item (something worth almost nothing), then insist that the broken/wrong item be returned "for inspection" before they will issue a refund or replacement. Some are bold enough to demand you only send it the equivalent of First Class/Express with insurance and all manner of other cost prohibitive add-on services, in hopes that you don't bother.

Its not limited to Ali Express either, although with Ebay, Amazon and the like, you have some protections as @chriscambridge notes above. Even on Ebay, so long as they state it up front, a seller can insist the buyer pay for returns. I had a Chinese seller send me a piece of costume jewlery via Chinese Parcel Post instead of the mini-pc I paid for, then insist I return it overnight with insurance before they'd issue a refund. The return cost was going to be more than the purchase price. I opened a case with Ebay and they refunded my money and banned the seller.

On the whole though, I've had nothing but good experiences with Ali Express, but I've only bought small items. Not sure I'd buy a server chassis! But for me, in the US, I have other options. If Ali Express was going to be a lot cheaper where I lived, I might give it a try.

@denywinarto , for US customers, Ali Express started a program where they held payment until the buyer acknowledged that the item(s) were received in good condition. The seller doesn't get paid until the buyer is satisfied. Its not available for all sellers I don't think, but there are many that participate. If they have that option where you are, it would take some of the risk out of buying.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
I just wanted to share my experience of Aliexpress; it is great for finding products at low prices, but if you have issues and have to return the product, or get refunds, or get Aliexpress staff involved to uphold normal selling practices then it can be somewhat of a minefield.

In terms of the fans I would have accepted any replacements, but as with the refund they refused until I returned the broken items using tracked postage to China. In the end I just kept the broken fans and gave the seller negative feedback.

In terms of Ebay and Amazon, over here in the UK if you do large single purchases (> £800/$1000) then you get upgraded into Ebay concierge/Amazon Pro; both these services offer you direct UK contact and in the few cases I have experienced 100% uphold any complaints and force through refunds.

Additionally both of these companies state that if you pay for postage and the product is damaged or not fit for purpose, then the seller has to pay for return postage; I guess that is perhaps different in other countries where a seller can state 'customer pays for any returns'.

Reactions: Markess

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I bought one of these cheap Chinese rackable case and I strongly recommend against them. a local seller was dumping them at 5$ so it was basically free but I still think I overpaid. I also had the same idea of using a desktop psu.

It is a big waste of time. The case is flimsy and everything was made from cheapest material one can imagine. Fans were leaking oil! Unfortunately I invested one hour my time to mount them. I should have gotten an SM case and used a desktop case until find one locally at good price.

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Because i already own a HGSt 4u60, and i'm looking for group it together with my other 3 servers to simplify UPS and network allocation, right now its kinda messy..
One solution, although its not as elegant, is to use a tower case and simply slide it into the rack on its side using an inexpensive rack shelf.

When I got two rack mount servers literally gifted to me recently, I went back to rack mounting. One server I'd already had on hand, with an EATX board in a mid-tower case, was the perfect size to fit in the rack on a shelf. The shelf isn't on rails, so I have to pull the case out all the way out to work on it. But, it has an ATX PSU and the case was designed for front to back airflow (no top or side panel ventilation). So racking it didn't impede the cooling.

If the shelf were on rails, you could pull the shelf out to work on it, just like any other server. The tower case's side panel becomes the top panel when its on its side, giving easy access from above. Again, not as slick as an actual rackmount chassis. But, as you've discovered, the selection of rackmount chassis that use an ATX power supply is limited.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US

Did you dispute this with your CC company?

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
I bought one of these cheap Chinese rackable case and I strongly recommend against them. a local seller was dumping them at 5$ so it was basically free but I still think I overpaid. I also had the same idea of using a desktop psu.

It is a big waste of time. The case is flimsy and everything was made from cheapest material one can imagine. Fans were leaking oil! Unfortunately I invested one hour my time to mount them. I should have gotten an SM case and used a desktop case until find one locally at good price.
Thanks, i will look around ebay and amazon then, but last time i check the selection was limited.

One solution, although its not as elegant, is to use a tower case and simply slide it into the rack on its side using an inexpensive rack shelf.

When I got two rack mount servers literally gifted to me recently, I went back to rack mounting. One server I'd already had on hand, with an EATX board in a mid-tower case, was the perfect size to fit in the rack on a shelf. The shelf isn't on rails, so I have to pull the case out all the way out to work on it. But, it has an ATX PSU and the case was designed for front to back airflow (no top or side panel ventilation). So racking it didn't impede the cooling.

If the shelf were on rails, you could pull the shelf out to work on it, just like any other server. The tower case's side panel becomes the top panel when its on its side, giving easy access from above. Again, not as slick as an actual rackmount chassis. But, as you've discovered, the selection of rackmount chassis that use an ATX power supply is limited.
There's another factor actually, my HGST U2 drive apparently requires heavy cooling, so i have to settle for server case with proper airflow.
Can't risk using cheap desktop case for expensive U2 drive..