Recent content by casperghst42

1. C

HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Mini Additional Built-in NIC

I only have a G4 and a G5 - I suspect that the G3 have more space as the slot is turned 90 degrees in the G4/G5.
  2. C

I might have been too fast, I have both an G4 and an G5. With either if you have to lean the board against the nvme if you use a full length nvme - I just opened my G4 to add an extra nic to it (which was DOA), but I think there was slightly more space in the G5 than in the G5. As for the...
  3. C

You can get some brass threaded inserts (M3) so that you can fix the ethernet port to the printed part. I didn't bother but will add it later (when I get some of these inserts). Otherwise it just worked out of the box, I use it for my firewall (pfSense) running under proxmox.
  4. C

I figured it out, found an old video by @Patrick where he states that the FlexIO v1 ethernet port is an USB ethernet port, which is not interesting. I found an Intel 210AT (Gigabit Ethernet Server Adapter M.2 A E I210AT Single Port Gigabit | eBay) NIC which works, I just had to modify the...
  5. C

My Customised SFF Home Server Build

I'm envious about the HD prices, here (Denmark) I have to pay close to 400€ for an 16TB WD Gold disk.
  6. C

They have relocated the A+E connector in Elitedesk 800 G4, anyone found an intel based card which fits in it ?
  7. C

The Latest N100&I3-N305 NAS BOARD

I would not call them NAS boards, they are more desktop MBs with 4 network interfaces. I'd like to see the Audio, DP and HDMI go, and then get IPMI, then it would be intersting. I know that the N series does not support ECC, but no matter what people say I do like to have ECC in my nas/server...
  8. C

ZFS vs. BTRFS: Safest Choice for Dummies?

I've been running a raid6 setup for +10 years and until now the only problem I've had is 2 dead drives (3 years apart). I have exclusively used it with ext4. To my recollection I have never said that there was anything wrong with ZFS, I just don't see that there is a reason for me to use it...
  9. C

Some people like to collect data, in my case I like to keep my photos which goes back +20 years. And my music (ripped CDs). That is a very good reason for having raid(6) and offsite backup. Raid is not backup, but it is a good thing if you loose a disk (or two).
  10. C

A possibly unpopular sugestion: mdadm + lvm2 - Synology is actually using mdadm for raid and put btrfs on top of it.
  11. C

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Which exactly board is this one - I am also intersted in the console redirection ?
  12. C

Switchadvice POE+, 2.5G and at least 4xSFP+

The major difference between the QNAP and the Draytek is the POE budget, QNAP is 280w and Draytek is 400w - just from that perspective the Draytek is more interesting.
  13. C

Low Power 10 Gigabit NVMe server?

I do think Patrick did a review of that adapter with the HP Mini Server G10 (??), while it works one have to remember that it is a x4 card, to get full 10GbE you need x2 which leaves you x1 for each NVME - that might be enough for you, but it is a limitation.
  14. C

Weird problem with macvlan/ipvlan networks in docker

Normally when you use macvlan (or ipvlan) the host have no access to the container, you need to play around with 'ip' routing to get it working. Also inter container communication does not work. Like this: Give your host access to Docker containers with macvlan
  15. C

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

I still fail to see why I would need 4K output on a router, a serial port or iKVM would be more useful. Also as we mostly put these things in a rack, it would also be nice to have all the buttons and access ports on the same side as the network interfaces.