Recent content by c3l3x

1. C

W790 Motherboard discussion thread

I honestly don't know what's going with these W790 motherboards either. It's like they couldn't decide if they should be HEDT or pure workstation/server boards. So on the Asus boards you have no USB4/TB, no Wifi, etc. But then they included overclocking features. So, which is it? And I...
  2. C

W790 Motherboard discussion thread

I got really excited about the Asus boards, especially after seeing this overclocking video. But, I can't understand why they omitted USB4/TB4. A lot of creative professionals like myself will be interested in these for their workstations, but we depend on TB devices including storage, video...
  3. C

Asus KNPA-U16 0E Q-Code error

@68k-dude Thanks! I've tried a few more times with different slots and BIOS settings but no go. If you find something, that would be great. Thanks for looking!
  4. C

@efschu3 Thanks for the suggestions Yes, I tried resetting the UEFI. I did it with no cards installed, and even tried with no battery. Also tried a reflash of the BIOS just in case. I tried disabling the LANs via jumper, but no change. I tried disabling loading GPU ROMs but no change...
  5. C

Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

It is RDIMMs. Not sure why I wrote UDIMMs. I corrected my post. I was hoping that people have done some real-world testing so I could learn from that. If not, then I would do my own tests
  6. C

Hi. My KNPA-U16 with Epyc Rome CPU has been working well for me, but now I'm getting errors. I changed out the RTX 2070 card for a 2070 Super and a 2080 Ti. When both cards are installed in the x16 slots, the system will get to the POST screen and get no further than the Total memory info...
  7. C

With a new BIOS I got my Asus KNPA-U16-R running with my Epyc 7502 ES. I'm using the "bit of both" OC with good results. I have 8 x 8GB 2133MHz RDIMMs. From all of this memory discussion and testing, it is worth it for me to get faster RAM? I use my system for 3D and video work. Not sure...
  8. C

Asus KNPA-U16 BIOS update Naples->Rome

Update: Asus tech support has been no help. However, I did receive the BIOS chip from the eBay seller in the Netherlands with the 402 BIOS on it. I swapped it for the one that came with the board, and it works!! :)
  9. C

Yeah, that's the one I ordered. Haven't received it yet, so can't vouch for it though
  10. C

Yup, it's socketed. Another reason to avoid SM boards and go with another brand
  11. C

lol. You're in the opposite situation of me. We should just swap boards. I tried a lot of things with no luck, like various methods of flashing via the BMC. When I ran out of ideas, I opened a support ticket with Asus tech support. They've been very slow to reply. In their first reply they...
  12. C

Tyan PCI-e x24 riser power connector

That seems to confirm what I've found. It looks like it's a 4P molex with a standard 12v-gnd-gnd-5v. Strange to see an old fashioned floppy connector and not a typical molex IDE or something newer
  13. C

Tyan PCI-e x24 riser power connector

Anyone know the power connector type on this riser card? I'm assuming that it's just 12v, but would need an adapter to go from PCI-e VGA connector of a PSU to this
  14. C

I got an Asus KNPA-U16 today for my Rome Epyc processor. I'm able to power it on and get the iKVM going (and log in via the maintenance Ethernet port), but the board does not POST. It has the Naples 902 BIOS on it. There's a BIOS and SOP for updating on the Asus website, but it involves using...
  15. C

I'm going to give it a try with the Supermicro, but I would prefer a Gigabyte board. They're just hard to find in stock. I'm open to suggestions though