Recent content by bryan_v

1. bryan_v

Designing 1U/2U/3U/4U rackmount server chassis - these will be going to production - looking for input, ideas, and feedback!

Here you go: www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/sm3ig2/would_you_prefer_a_halfwidth_or_fullwidth_nvme/ The drawer is actually based on an earlier Netflix Open Connect appliance with a little bit of serviceability. Essentially the drawer is nothing more than a piece of sheet metal sitting on a...
  2. bryan_v

[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

Has anyone grabbed drives from the newest lot? It looks like they're sealed recertified drives now, so curious what that SMART data has to say.
  3. bryan_v

Micron 9200 MAX 1.6TB $125 each

It's spec'ed endurance is: 4K Random Total Bytes Written (PB): 8.8 PB 128K Sequential Total Bytes Written (PB): 17.5 PB Using 5PB host writes, the 27%-29% "used" must be coming from the sequential number. If you keep yourself under 0.5 DWPD you can easily get another 4 years out of the drive...
  4. bryan_v

Intel Xeon Platinum 8370C

It's a custom Ice Lake SKU for MS Azure: https://www.theregister.com/2021/04/27/azure_preview_gen3_xeon_scalable/ Not sure if it'll be distributed to OEMs or Retail, but if past evidence is any indication, the fact that it's off roadmap most likely means it'll be an Azure/Hyperscaler exclusive...
  5. bryan_v

Designing 1U/2U/3U/4U rackmount server chassis - these will be going to production - looking for input, ideas, and feedback!

I ran a poll in r/homelab about 3 months ago when I couldn't find any rack case that would fit in my small downtown house (the data room is only 32" deep) and was going to try to get protocase to design one. Overwhelmingly everyone seemed to want a short depth chassis, especially for a NAS. In...
  6. bryan_v

LSI 9361-8i SAS3 12Gb/ Cards?

I think those are Chia scalper holdovers. I've notice the same issue with NVMe HBAs, where ebay is more expensive than if I buy through a business account with a distributor. Inventories are still low, but there are inventories if you can compromise between OEMs or form factors.
  7. bryan_v

AVOID - 4U, 2x Node, 4x E5 V3/V4, 56x LFF SAS3 3.5" bay - $299 - CISCO UCS C3260

Can you post pictures of how they were shipped? Curious how good their palletization was.
  8. bryan_v

AVOID - 4U, 2x Node, 4x E5 V3/V4, 56x LFF SAS3 3.5" bay - $299 - CISCO UCS C3260

Lol that's 5x more I paid in freight to ship my cast iron wood stove from the UK. You could have them charge your UPS business account directly, which is my new preferred strategy. That way they can't do weird things with the numbers.
  9. bryan_v

[W][US/CAN] 6x 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC RAM

Quick question, does anyone have some spare 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC RAM modules they would be willing to sell me? Shipping to either Toronto, Canada, or Niagara Falls, NY
  10. bryan_v

If you live in the GTA you can use CrossBorderPickups and just ship it to Niagara Falls,NY. They'll truck it across for like $10.
  11. bryan_v

Intel 8124m board compatibility

Hey @Randomer Naught I forgot to ask you, did you ended up seating the 8275cl in those EPC621D8A boards? Oh yea, and please throw those temps in an chart or dump the raw info into a quote line, very curious to see how much of a temp improvement you got. Later this year I want to try...
  12. bryan_v

Intel 8124m board compatibility

Great find. They're not even named properly so they wouldn't come up in a normal search
  13. bryan_v

Supermicro CSE 512 Mini 1U Server Chassis with single power supply $40+ship

Do flex ATX PSUs fit in the chassis, or are we bound to the Supermicro ecosystem for the chassis?
  14. bryan_v

FS: Supermicro 2U TwinPro2 quad node 2011-3 2028TP-HC0TR barebone

I wish my new house was ready so I could try to watercool this bad boy.