Recent content by Blue4130

1. B

How do you guys feel about BIOS updates?

I don't have strong feelings about bios updates as a general term. I look at what each update includes/fixes and base my actions on that. If the update is for some trivial fix like a typo in a bios heading, I leave it alone. If the fix is something critical like pumping too much voltage to the...
  2. B

Legit AMD Epyc or no?

That stamp is put on by the reseller, not AMD.
  3. B

Regular CPU Cooler for LGA3647(Xeon Phi)

There are none. Consumer CPU's have never been as big as LGA3647
  4. B

server/workstation case + hotswap

Is this for a home lab or a production workstation/server? Do you really need hotswap? How often do you think you will be swapping drives? Getting a case without hotswap is much easier if you can live without it.
  5. B

Water-Damaged WD MyBook Studio Edition II Quad Interface 6TB

If there is no response, it is likely that no one has run into this same issue as you. If you check the rest of the forum, you will see that people are very willing to help out when they have valid and useful information. My bit of advice, if the data is important to you, send it to a recovery...
  6. B

Thinking about future home server upgrade, storage question

There seem to be plenty of itx boards that have 2 or more m.2 slots these days. Check on PCPartpicker and filter by # of slots. The list is vast.
  7. B

AM5 build, PCI-E expansion solutions. Help needed

You know that the RAID card that you are looking at supports 256 drives, right? No need for a second card, just get SAS expanders.
  8. B

SOLVED: Anyway to improve the performance of new TrueNAS rig (EPYC 7402P)

I'd be looking into if it's a latency issue. 6 drives in raid over ethernet are bound to have more latency than a local nvme. Does it happen more when you are scrubbing and jumping around the timeline?
  9. B

R730xd External 3.5” HDD Power

Why not just get a PSU and hook them up to that? Way less janky than adapting and hanging cables out of the pci slot.
  10. B

Using a gaming motherboard for a NAS build

It doesn't need a motherboard, cpu, ram. That saves a lot of cash. All it needs are PSU, fans, sas expander or backplane, cables and HBA for the workstation/desktop.
  11. B

Using a gaming motherboard for a NAS build

It may be blasphemy here, but if it is only you using it and you will power it down most of the time, why even go with a NAS? Just make or buy a JBOD.