Recent content by BigServerSmallStudio

1. B

Questions on New Server Build with U-NAS NSC 810A Chassis

I ended up purchasing the U-NAS 800 as I found an great deal for the chassis + 400W PSU for $130. I also got the Asrock Z490M-ITX/AC (2.5GbE Realtek + 1GbE Intel), Intel Core i7-10700T, 32GB RAM, 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31 NVMe SSD and I'm using the leftover M.2 slot for this nifty little M.2 to...
  2. B

Zeus V2 : U-NAS NSC-810A | X10SL7-F | E3-1265 V3

So I ended up purchasing this same chassis, the U-NAS NSC 800. eBay had a good deal for $130 including the PSU but excluding the SSD mount / screws etc. I'm trying to figure out how to best use the limited space alongside the iTX mobo. Would there be any issues with using the below IO Crest M.2...
  3. B

silverstone cs381 - Any news?

@TLN what do you mean not being able to instsall a dual-slot GPU? I'm looking to use this case with a mobo that has 8-SATA ports so i can avoid needing an HBA card, could I still use the 4 PCI slots in the case with an mATX to install both a gigabit NIC and a dual-slot GPU like the 3070?
  4. B

PVE Cluster using UNAS 810A

Interesting, what specifically on the Mobo should I be concerned about "overheating" or "running too warm"? Are you aware (or do you own the CS381), where temps have been reported to be elevated? I am deciding between the 810A and CS381, and though an AIO solves any potential CPU heat issues...
  5. B

Would that still be a concern if you stick a 240mm AIO radiator on the CPU? I would think the 4 120mm fans can do a better job circulating air inside the chassis than the 810A
  6. B

Makes sense, there looks to be almost zero cooling on those 2.5" HDDs with a massive PSU immediately behind the drive cages in the CS280. I would think the CS381 is actually substantially better cooling solution that the U-NAS 810A, CS280 or DS380
  7. B

What specifically do you mean by cooling sucks? The STH review seemed to be okay for the CS280 where they tested 15k 2.5" drives at ~45C. Either way, the 2.5" chassis is likely not as relevant given I think the DS380 also had trouble cooling in its mITX chassis vs. the CS381 is now a larger...
  8. B

that seems a bit excessive, probably makes more sense to watercool the CS381 but cool nonetheless! You have a great setup, that's something I'd like to do eventually (two similar UNAS, one that serves as an offsite rsync every month to my main server). Maybe for later on!
  9. B

wow talk about a tight build! What is in the second PCI slot, or how are you connecting 4 SSDs?
  10. B

what exact mobo is that? Did you convert the SATA backpane to SAS, is that what you meant? And do you still have all those PCI devices connected, which fans are installed where to cool such a beast? :D I'm deciding between purchasing this 810A or the SilverStone CS381, so your help is super...
  11. B

By "Quadro P2000 passthrough to Centos for Plex transcoding", do you mean you have a P2000 installed in your PCI slot? Do you have any other cards installed? What are your HDD temps like with that mobo/CPU/GPU combo? @Ixian your experience is greatly appreciated. Too many options! Back to the...
  12. B

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=861&area=en What do you think of the CS381? This seems slightly more larger (3.3" wider, 1.6" deeper, 1.1" taller) but with easier PCI slot access, 8 bays, 4 SSD slots, more PSU compatibility and 4*120mm fans. Coincidentally, ServeTheHome has a...
  13. B

I somewhat agree, it is a very pricy build unless you are specifically going for older used components off eBay like a high TDP 3-5 year old Xeon, taking up the PCI slot with a HBA card and using a low-wattage PSU as an exclusive NAS system. The below build would cost almost as much as the QNAP...
  14. B

Point taken. I'll further research unraid compatibility / how QNAP implements Docker, but may likely stick to the 810A build if I find any issues at all with simple things like fan control or PCI compatibility. I guess best of both worlds would be someone selling the QNAP chassis standalone and...
  15. B

I agree, i don't think I can use the h1288X unless I know it supports Unraid without issue. I never would've thought QNAP/Synology type device would suit my needs but the above two devices are very high powered in a a very rare chassis format (i.e. literally you cannot buy this chassis format...