Recent content by bhigh

1. B

Topton i5 1135G7 Mini PC

USPS just returned the system to me after over a year in Chinese customs! Despite the appearance of the outer box, the only visible damage is a scuff on the chassis. I'm waiting to hear from Topton to see what they want me to do, but I'm already out $77 for postage to send it, and $77 for the...
  2. B

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

I'm aware, but I also know that it works just fine with 32GB dual-rank SO-DIMMs. I also know that the N100 works fine with 12GB, because I have a mini N100 computer with 12GB. I ended up ordering the CT32G48C40S5 from Amazon since there are others reporting success with the same SKU.
  3. B

Better PSU for my HUNSN RJ36

I just received my N305 from CWWK. It came with an unbranded 12V 5A power supply with a 5.5mm barrel plug. I purchased a MEAN WELL GST60A12-P1J to replace it. Delta is another good brand to look for as well.
  4. B

Has anyone tried the N305 with a 48 GB SO-DIMM? My barebone model arrived today and I'm hoping to max out the memory.
  5. B

It's a kernel option, not bios. I'm not sure how to disable it on FreeBSD. On Linux, you can pass an option to the kernel from the boot loader.
  6. B

There was a USB interface controller exploit a few years back that allowed arbitrary code execution. I didn't require any drivers, was invisible to the OS, and persisted after a reboot. The Unpatchable USB Vulnerability Something like this would be easy to ship in a BIOS.
  7. B

Try disabling FBID, either in the bios or the kernel boot options. Linux and FreeBSD have both had issues with e-cores. Someone linked a bug earlier and I found an article on Phoronix about it. The symptom on FreeBSD is data corruption for UFS and FAT file systems. I'm not sure what happened on...
  8. B

The biggest concern for most people is that the system is not fanless. I ordered a different small N100 box, but as a K8s node and not for use as a router. It’s got Realtek NICs and a fan. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005076549630.html There are other similar boxes “ZX01 Plus” with the...
  9. B

I wasn't able to read the label. What size barrel plug does it have? Or what make and model did you replace it with? This sounds like the FreeBSD bug that was brought up later in the thread. Did you try installing with a ZFS root or only UFS? Disabling PCID support may help too. This is...
  10. B

I'm playing catch up on this thread, so apologies in advance if I missed something. Cases: Variation C seems like it would have the best heat dissipation, all else being equal. It looks like @Becks0815 has tested this. N95 vs. N97 vs. N100 vs. N200: - N95: 3.4 GHz boost, 16 EU at 1.2 GHz 15W...
  11. B

Mini PC Power Supplies

It would work, but you're introducing a few more variables. You're introducing shared fate for all the systems. They will be on the same single DC circuit, and load from one could impact the others. What's the maximum sustained power draw for each system? You mention 90-120W so I'll assuming...
  12. B

Topton i5 1135G7 Mini PC

I got my refund a few days ago. Topton said they would also refund my shipping (around $75) but so far they have not.
  13. B

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

There isn't a good 1:1 comparison until newer models are available. Protectli is using a different ODM for newer systems and I can't compare the AE vs. VAR prices. I've been told that they'll be releasing additional systems in August and September too. The J3160 running OPNsense can handle...
  14. B

Topton i5 1135G7 Mini PC

I tried once and got a system that failed. I don't honestly believe that the new cooling solution will help unless you add a fan to cool the ssd. I'm going to hold off and stick with my current J3160 based hardware for a little bit longer.
  15. B

Cheap Intel Pentium N6005 4x 2.5GbE Fanless Firewall and Router Review

Check the RAM speed and timings in the BIOS. The system I got was running the memory at 3200MT/s 19-19-19-43, however the SPD timings were 22-22-22-52. Overclocking the memory is likely to cause instability, especially when running at higher temperatures in a fanless system.